chapter eighteen

Harry Styles

I sigh heavily as I finish washing the bowls we used for snacks before drying off my hands on a dish towel. I hear my phone buzz from the island and I turn around, seeing another text from Zayn.

Now that I don't have Nick to distract me, I can't help myself from picking up my phone and clicking on the message. My eyes widen when I see the long list of text messages Zayn has sent me since our encounter at Caruso's.

5:02 pm
From Zayn: I'm sorry.

5:38 pm
From Zayn: Come on, don't ignore me.

5:45 pm
From Zayn: I don't even know what I did to make you mad...

6:47 pm
From Zayn: I hope it wasn't the kiss because if it was, you don't have to worry about that. It didn't mean anything.

7:02 pm
From Zayn: Can you please just respond so I know that you're okay?

7:59 pm
From Zayn: That dick isn't doing anything to you, is he?

9:45 pm
From Zayn: Seriously. Just one text and I'll leave you alone forever.

10:26 pm
From Zayn: I don't what I did, but whatever it is I'm sorry. I was high earlier and I wasn't really thinking straight.

11:13 pm
From Zayn: I'm high now too, but that's beside the point.

11:43 pm
From Zayn: I'm seriously worried.

I sigh heavily as I read over the nine text messages, running my fingers through my curly hair. I'm not sure if I even should respond, but Zayn sounds like a wounded puppy and I guess I should put him out of his misery.

I don't even know why he cares so much.

11:47 pm
To Zayn: I'm fine. And Nick would never do anything to hurt me, so you don't have to worry.

I hit send, and within what feels like seconds, I get a response from Zayn.

11:47 pm
From Zayn: Nick isn't as innocent as you think he is.

11:48 pm
To Zayn: What is that supposed to mean?

11:48 pm
From Zayn: Just be careful. What took you so long to respond anyway?

11:49 pm
To Zayn: I was busy. Sorry I can't be on my phone every second of every day.

11:50 pm
From Zayn: So in six hours you couldn't spare one minute to send a text?

11:51 pm
To Zayn: I'm not obligated to text you. Stop acting like a possessive boyfriend.

11:52 pm
From Zayn: Sorry I was worried about you.

11:53 pm
To Zayn: I doubt you were actually concerned for my safety.

11:54 pm
From Zayn: And what is that supposed to mean?

11:55 pm
To Zayn: It means that I don't believe you were worried about my safety. You're just jealous because I spent the night with Nick.