House of Mystery and House of Crushes

~~

We arrived at the school, which was totally pitch-black on the inside, apart from our torches.

"So, this is the school?" I asked looking at the multiple lockers that lined the corridor.

"Yeah, but usually it's lit up and all that," he said shining his torch on a few of the classroom doors.

"I sure hope so," I laughed a little.

Fabian continued to the end of the hallway while I smacked myself in the forehead. "So what do you think?" he asked from the a classroom down the end of the hall.

"I think it's cool. And old. And it smells like cleaning powder," I nodded.

He grinned at me, "Cleaning powder?"

"Brilliant I know!" I smiled to him.

I stared at him as he looked around the room that had charts of the elements, the human body, stuff of that sort on the wall. "So, do you like the House?" he asked sitting on the large desk that was at the front of the room.

"Yeah, but I have a feeling a few people don't like me," I sighed.

"Like who?" he asked, "Why wouldn't they?"

I had a strange urge to laugh and say 'oh you quit being a suck-up, Rutter,' but I think I would have gotten a glare. "Nina and Joy," I said straightly.

"Figures it's those two," he looked down at the floor.

"I don't want to be nosy, but is it true you and Nina, were a-a thing," I asked nervously, "Amber told me."

"We had a fight and so we aren't going out anymore," he said, "And Joy..." He trailed off, but not in a good way. He had a look of anger on his face that told me Joy hasn't been the greatest person.

"Does she like you?" I asked, "I mean, the way she looks at you and all."

"Yeah, but I don't know," he seemed sad.

"Well-uh aslo," I began nervously, "What di you mean 'figures it's those two?"

"They're probably jelous," he began, "Alot of times Nina would block Joy out and Joy would block Nina out. I guess they're doing it to you."

'Wh-wha-at?" I pretent to laugh, "It's not like I like you!"

"Don't worry about it," he said picking up a pencil off the desk and lobserving it.

"But if you ever do need someone to cheer you up," I began, "I am here." 

He smiled in the light of the torch, which for me ignited the whole world. "Thanks, I'll remember that."

I smiled back and walked back into the corridor. I fought the urge to run down the hall screaming, but instead I asked Fabian if he wanted to go back to the House.

"No," he said, "There is still something I want to show you."

"Where?" I asked, "Why?"

"It's our new library and it will be fun," he replied leading me out of the school.

 "Is that why you have books?" I said pointing to a few he had under his arm, "Is this an excuse to return them?"

He laughed, "Busted, but I want to show you it."

I shrugged and followed him to an old building on a hill that was a little ways away from the school. It had a door on the side that opened into a short hall, then into the library itself. The windows were stained glass, while through the window I could also see a spiral stair case that led to a second floor of more books.