Chapter 28: Shoes

When Tommy goes down to talk to Sasha, he tells her everything. She decides that Tommy can stay with us until everything is sorted out, and that she'll be in touch. Tommy sleeps on my floor, and Mom decides that we don't have to go to school.

Sasha gets in touch with Mom on Tuesday and tells her that Steve's trial is next Thursday, and that Tommy's dad's sister and her husband will be his and his younger siblings new guardians. They'll be moving down here on Thursday so none of the kids have to completely relocate. He won't be living next door, though. He'll be about five minutes away by car, which isn't that bad, but it's definitely a step down from where he was.

The rest of the week goes by in a blur of packing and moving Tommy and his siblings, and when Sadie and Macy show up at my house on Friday with makeup, shoes, and a bunch of other pampering stuff, I am totally confused and totally exhausted.

"Homecoming," Sadie reminds me before barging into my house and up to my room. I look to Macy for support, but she just shrugs and barges past me, too. I groan and follow them upstairs.

By the time I get to my room Sadie has already set up makeup and a curling iron and some other things all over my room. She also has three dresses laying on my bed and two pairs of heels on the ground. They begin to rush around and get each other and themselves ready. When they're done they look absolutely stunning.

Macy has a on a gray dress with sleeves that cover the top of her shoulders but don't come down. It had lace flowery patterns on the top and then a rhinestone belt strip across her waist. After the strip it poofs out into a fuller skirt, and nude colored heels that are about three inches. Her dark brown hair is pulled into a bun not quite on top of her hair, but further up than just the back. It's parted on her left with one little curly strand framing each side of her face. Her makeup looks amazing as well. She has foundation on, a little blush, some eyeliner and rose colored eye shadow, and dark red lipstick that looks darker against her paler skin.

Sadie has on an emerald green dress without sleeves, but the torso goes up to where her neck starts and has a strip that goes around her neck to hold the dress up. The torso part is covered in green rhinestones that come to a stop at a little strip of green cloth around her waist. The skirt then poofs out. It looks really good against her tan skin and brings out her chocolate brown eyes. She has on black heels that look maybe five inches. She, too has on dark red lipstick (that isn't quite as striking as Macy's), foundation, blush, and eyeliner that makes her eyes pop out more than the dress. Her eye shadow is a shimmery gold. Sadie has her blonde hair curled in a high ponytail with a part on her left and a few strands of hair coming out of it and framing her face.

"You both look amazing!" I tell them slightly awed.

"Awesome," Sadie says slightly impatiently. "Now get up so we can get you ready."

I raise my eyebrows. "Me?"

Sadie and Macy both roll their eyes. Sadie says, "You're going. You've already bought the dress, and Macy and I came over so that we can do whatever we can to make you blow Tommy away."

"Tommy isn't going," I scoff. "Neither am I. It's been too crazy of a week."

Macy turns her head and searches my room with her eyes while Sadie is going hysterical.

"He didn't ask you?" she yells. "He's your boyfriend! Why would he not ask you to homecoming? Catherine, I am going to give you the best piece of advice you will ever get: drop that boy. If he can't bother to ask you to homecoming, then he is not worth it."

I roll my eyes. "Sadie, have you not been paying attention to anything? We had to move him and his younger siblings this week because he was being abused! Homecoming was not on either of our minds!"