Chapter 5: A Shopping Secret

"Catherine!"

I roll over.

"Catherine!" somebody shakes me.

"Catherine!" somebody jumps on me.

"Ow!" I yell snapping open my eyes.

Sam  is peacefully sitting on me. I shove him off of me and onto the floor. When I look up my friends are all looking at me expectantly. I immediately know that I forgot to do something.

"What?" I ask confused.

"It is seven-oh-eight on a Thursday morning in the middle of September," Macy tells me.

What is she talking about? Wait...

"Shit!" I yell jumping up. "Sam get in the car. I'll change later!"

He sprints out to the car. My friends just plop onto the couch now that their work is done. I assume that we are ditching today. I grab my phones and keys and sprint out to the car after Sam. I, yet again, practice my psychotic driving skills and get Sam to school ten minutes before the bell. He gets out of the car and I yell goodbye before driving back home. 

When I get home, I find my friends sitting on the couch while watching Spongebob and eating Cheerios. I walk in and plop down on the couch next to Sadie. They all scoot over so I have enough room, but say nothing to me because they are so engrossed in Spongebob.

"I'm so tired!" I groan loudly.

Sadie pops up and almost spills her Cheerios. "I know what will make you less tired!"

"Sleep?" I ask sarcastically.

She looks at me and frowns. "No, Catherine. I meant a trip to the mall."

This makes me groan again.

Elle then stands and goes next to Sadie. "I agree!"

Of course Elle would agree. She and Sadie are the shopping queens. They practically live at the mall. I look over to my only hope. Macy. I plead to her with my eyes to decline the offer. I send her mental pleas. I do a puppy dog face. I even start to pray.

Then, in slow it seems, Macy begins to stand. All I can do is stare at her in shock and feel utterly betrayed. Macy, my one friend who likes to shop but takes pity on me and doesn't agree when we are together, has just stood up and betrayed me.

She must see the hurt in my face because she quickly tries to explain her despicable and unacceptable actions to me. 

"The mall is better than sitting here and watching TV all day, Catherine," she tries to reason with me. I sigh. I guess she's right. At least if we go and walk around the mall we are being semi-active. The mall is definitely better than lounging around on the couch, watching Spongebob, and eating Cheerios all day.

"Fine," I mumble. My friends squeal. I really need to get them to stop doing that. It really hurts my ears!

They rush up the stairs to change so that we can get to the mall ASAP. I silently and slowly follow behind them. Sadie is rooting through my closet for outfits for all of us. She throws me a pair of black leggings, my blue long sleeved UNC shirt, and my white converse.

"Sadie," I start.

She turns away from my closet. "Catherine, you are wearing leggings, and I don't want to hear another word about it!"

"Ugh!" I groan and fall back onto my bed. Sadie glares at me. "You didn't say I couldn't make noises," I point out. She rolls her eyes, and I make my way into the bathroom to change.

***

An hour later we are finally on our way to the mall. We park the car and walk into a store. Sadie, Macy, and Elle immediately start shopping. I just sigh and check my phone. No messages just as I suspected. I decide to play 2048.