Chapter 1: The Four

The week of September 13 begins as normal as any other week in the Spire household. My brother Sam and I wake up at exactly six forty-five. By seven-oh-two, we are ready for school. At precisely seven-oh-four, I am backing out of the driveway. I drop off Sam at his school at seven sixteen before driving to my school. As I drive to Chaston High School, I get the feeling it's not going to be a normal day.

The first four minutes I am in school prove me correct.

As always, I am walking to my locker. My best friend Sadie texts me. I look down to read the text when I bump into someone. All my books go flying and I land in the floor with a thump. I look up to see who I bumped into and see the face of Tommy Arden. Great.

"Watch it," he growls at me.

"Watch it yourself," I mutter, standing up.

"What did you just say?" he asks.

It takes all my willpower not to cower away. "I said watch it yourself."

He glares at me and begins to walk toward me. Tommy pins me up against a locker. Just as he opens his mouth to say what is sure to be a stupid comeback, the bell rings. Tommy growls and walks away. I heave a sigh of relief, gather my books, and rush off to class.

Tommy Arden is the school's bad boy, and a typical one he is at that. He drives a motorcycle, skips school, brings a different girl home every night, and is always in trouble. Tommy has dark hair that half covers his eyes. He has sea green eyes and a perfectly straight teeth that are also pearly white.

Tommy also has a gang of boys that he hangs out with. His gang is made up of three other boys: Tyler Nathans, Mark Benson, and Aidan Adams. Each of them are exactly like their leader in every way except appearances.

Tyler has blue eyes and blonde hair. Mark has brown hair and brown eyes. Aidan has hazel eyes and dirty blonde hair. I have never spoken to any of them, and I never want to.

After four horribly long periods, I finally have lunch. I grab my food and head over to my friends. Unfortunately, I am intercepted.

Someone taps me in the shoulder. I turn to see who it is and come face to face with Tyler Nathans. Actually, I come face to chest with Tyler Nathans. I tilt my head back so I can see his face.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey?" I reply, though it comes out as more of a question.

He holds out his hands. "Want me to carry your food for you?"

I start to say no, but he takes my tray anyway. He starts to walk right over to my friends even though I protest. Eventually, I sigh in defeat and follow him.

When I get to the table, Tyler has already set my tray down. He has also taken the liberty of sitting down. I look around the table for empty seats and notice the only one left is next to Tyler and across from Sadie. I sigh and sit down.

"Hey, Catherine," she says.

"Hey, Sadie," I grumble.

"What's wrong?" she asks.

I gesture to Tyler. She mouths an oh and nods in understanding. Quietly, I eat my food while all my friends talk around me.

After lunch, I race to my locker so I can get away from Tyler. Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough. He corners me.

"Hey, Catherine," he says seductively.

I roll my eyes. "Hey, Tyler."

"You and me after school," he demands.