/08/ three best friends

*edited 2020

 I sat at my kitchen counter with Harry's cellphone sitting next to me. I'd been sitting there for a good ten minutes just staring at it. After I realized that this was nut case behavior, I got up and roamed over to my coffee pot and made myself my third cup that morning.

While I waited for it to brew I looked at the phone again.

I still couldn't believe he never came back last night. I waited and waited for him; every time the bell of the door rang I called out his name but it was only ever insomniacs looking for a place to relax.

I picked up my phone and called my best friend, "Hey, Luce."

"Yo."

"So I have a question."

"...Okay."

"It's about a situation involving Harry."

"Oh, your new best friend?"

"Lucy."

"What happened?"

"He left his phone at Crimson with me last night because he was supposed to come back after he walked this girl home because it was 3am but he never came back and now I have his phone."

"Where's the question?"

"He never came back. What does that mean?"

"He probably fucked her."

"Oh my god, Lucy."

"How does that make you feel? That he probably fucked her." There wasn't a hint of amusement in her voice.

"It makes me feel nothing? We're just friends, Lucy. I'm just worried that something bad happened to him."

"Or he fucked her."

"Would you stop saying that?!"

"Why?" I could sense her smile, "Does it bother you?"

"No," I was lying, "it doesn't bother me. I just don't like the picture of Harry getting down and dirty with someone in my head."

"You don't want to picture Harry getting down and dirty with anyone other than you."

"Holy shit. I'm hanging up." I pressed the 'end call' button on my phone and put it on the counter next to his.

Truthfully, Harry never coming back did bother me. Partly because I was worried something actually had happened to him. New York, at times, could be a fucked up place—people went missing all the time, or got jumped, or fell onto subway tracks. There was another part of me (a very small part) that was bothered by the idea of him sleeping with her.

I picked up his phone again and swiped to unlock it, but he had a password. I restrained myself from guessing because that would ultimately lead to me disabling it. I put it down again and walked over to my door when I heard a loud knock.

I opened it to see a smiling Harry.

"Hey, Auden."

"Hey, what's up?"

"I came to apologize."

"For what?"

"Well, before we get into all that can I come in?" I hadn't realized I was still standing in front on the doorway until then. I stepped aside and he walked in, taking a seat on my couch. "Okay, so I didn't come back last night—"

"I know."

"And I'm sorry. That was really shitty of me. You're my friend and I ditched you." His eyes were sympathetic.