/05/ the morning after

*edited 2020

I woke up to the feeling of something hard digging into the small of my back and something else hanging over my waist.

I brought my hands up and rubbed the heels of my palms into my eyes while I yawned. It took me a minute to realize exactly whose arm was thrown over my waist and whose knee was dug into my back. I had surprisingly managed to stay at the edge of the bed the entire night, which meant that Harry was a severe bed hog. I could hear him snoring lightly, obviously still asleep and tried to lift his arm off my waist but it was dead weight and he simply held on tighter.

I stopped trying to get him off me and instead tried going back to sleep but it was impossible with his knee crushing my kidneys and I couldn't move over or else I would be on the floor. After ten minutes of me trying to wake him, he finally opened his eyes but didn't bother to move.

"Morning." he mumbled in the hottest morning voice I've ever heard.

"Morning," I responded as he pulled his arm off of me and stretched. I watched the muscles in his arms tighten and the covers slid off his bare chest.

"What are you doing all the way over there?"

I pointed an accusatory finger at him, "I'm over here because you're an absolute bed hog." I refused to tell him that I was over here because touching him in any way was proving to be very dangerous for me.

His cheeks flashed pink, "Sorry."

I rubbed the small of my back once he removed his knee, "I'm sure."

Harry cleared his throat before pushing himself up from the bed. "Want me to make breakfast?"

"No, I'll do it. You're the guest." I waved a dismissive hand at him before getting up. "But first, hygiene." I gave him an extra toothbrush I kept in case Lucy or Ev ever stayed over and let him go first, both of us unable to fit in the tiny bathroom at the same time. When I walked out of the bathroom feeling a lot cleaner, I saw Harry's head buried in my fridge.

"You have no eggs."

"I don't really like eggs. I only use them for baking purposes and I haven't been to the store in, like, a week." I pulled my hair into a ponytail and stood behind him, taking a look. There wasn't much in there: a carton of orange juice, a quarter of a loaf of bread that I put in there so it wouldn't go bad, a few condiments and a tub of yogurt. "Look, there's breakfast right there." I pointed out the yogurt.

"Auden, I'm a grown man. I need a bit more than yogurt."

I shoved him out of the way and grabbed the bread, "So have some toast." He looked at me like I had to be kidding. "Did you check the freezer?" I pulled it open, "Look, there's ice-cream!" I pointed at the carton of ice cream that I didn't even remember having. I pulled it out and took off the top not surprised when the entire top layer was covered in solid ice.

"Freezer burn." Harry broke off a piece of ice with his finger. "Yum." Harry chuckled when he saw the disappointment on my face, "Do you not eat? How could you possibly not know that there is no food in your fridge?"

"Look, I've been eating out a lot lately, okay? And grocery shopping is annoying. I hate having to lug everything my myself."

"Come on." He said as he closed the fridge and grabbed his now dry clothes off the coffee table, "I'm taking your ass to Trader Joe's."

***

The ride to the store was relatively silent between us because of how packed the subway car was. There was a sort of understanding between New Yorkers that talking loudly or at all when everyone is squished up against one another is insanely rude and irritating and you shouldn't do it. It was a blissful silence that I had missed the minute we walked inside the market because Harry had started rattling off a list of everything he thought I needed.