Chapter Sixteen

Summer wanted to scream out of happiness. She waited for the door to close then danced around her room, stopping finally to look at her ring. The tiny pink gem sparkled.

Though he was changed by the ceremony, Decker was more resolved than ever that they'd be together. She wasn't sure what erased his doubt and fear, but he'd been confident, hopeful.

She threw herself on the bed opposite Tarzan, beyond thrilled. Even if she did get suspended for a week, she had Decker. When she turned eighteen, they'd get married. He'd all but said the words. In a matter of a month, she'd found her home and her future.

Convinced her life had changed for the better, she admired her ring until Biji knocked on the door. Summer opened it and smiled at her little bodyguard.

"He looked different," Biji said instantly. "Way different."

"He did," Summer agreed. Decker appeared as he had at night, with shadows and darkness trailing him. For a moment, he'd seemed to flicker, as if he wasn't really there. "He did it, Biji. He's the Dark Master, and he says we can still be together."

"Wow," Biji murmured. She walked into the room and closed then locked the door behind her. "I heard something in the hallway."

"What?" Summer asked, seating herself near Tarzan again.

"Beck knocked up Dawn."

"No!"

"I overheard it," Biji said. "Something about her family suing his over it."

"That's weird." Summer frowned. Beck had pried her and Dawn apart yesterday, even taking some blows from the furious blonde. He hadn't tried to protect Dawn. She wondered if Biji had misheard. "How or why would they sue over it?"

Biji shrugged. "Advance child support? I don't know. Is that a ring?"

Summer held up her hand. Biji took it and stared.

"It's a promise ring," Summer said. "One day, we'll get married."

"Summer, that's awesome! I'll come to your wedding. Tarzan can be the ring boy."

Summer laughed, eyes on the fawn. She petted him, hoping he'd be completely well one day.

"All we need is for Tarzan to get well, and I'll be happier than I've ever been before," she murmured.

There was a knock at her door. Biji picked up her bat and answered it, stepping aside to show Amber. The normally chipper instructor looked unhappy.

"Summer, could you come down to the office after dinner?"

"Sure."

"Great. How's he holding up?" Amber asked, eyes on Tarzan.

"Better today," Summer answered.

"I'm happy to hear that. All right, I'll see you around seven."

Amber left, and Summer exchanged a look with Biji.

"She didn't look happy," Biji said.

"No, she didn't."

"I wonder if she'll suspend you for like, two weeks."

"I don't know. Something has seemed off with her for a couple of days," Summer said, puzzled. "I wonder if the Dawn thing has her down."

"Beck was one of her favorite students."

Summer looked at her ring. Whatever happened, it wouldn't last long. Amber might suspend her for a week or two, but she could spend time with Tarzan and Decker.