Summer crossed her arms, feeling plain next to them in their high fashion. She hadn't thought to put on anything but gloss and mascara, because she didn't have anything else. She looked at Biji for some support. Biji was glaring at Dawn openly. Summer nudged her.

"You look too nice tonight not to smile," she whispered. "Ignore her."

"We are cuter," Biji said grudgingly.

"You are," Summer agreed. "Are you going to—"

"Summer, you look gorgeous," Dawn exclaimed from across the foyer. "I never would've guessed you bought that dress from a yard sale."

The girls with her laughed. Biji stepped forward, red-faced. Summer took her arm.

"Thank you, Dawn. You look beautiful," she said before Biji could retort.

"I knew Beck would like it," Dawn said and smoothed her hands over her hips. "Do you think he will?"

"Um, yes," Summer said uneasily.

"He's my date, you know."

Summer frowned. She was about to retrieve the letters from her room to make sure she hadn't made a mistake when Amber flung the screen door open.

"Ride's here!" she called. "Everyone in."

Dawn and her friends were the first out. Summer hesitated.

"She's just messing with you," Biji told her. "Come on. Beck is a good guy. If he said he's going with you, then he will. She's just jealous."

Summer smiled and let Biji pull her out of the house.

"He did say he was going with you, right?" Biji whispered as they stood in line to enter the van.

"Yes. Well, he wrote it. I haven't actually talked to him."

"What? Are you serious?"

"In the van, girls!" Amber said again.

Biji climbed in and sat beside one of Dawn's friends while Summer sat on the bench two seats ahead of her. Their conversation was silenced. Summer felt a sliver of dread, not for the first time. She gazed out the window as they drove. The dark reminded her of Decker.

She barely recognized the resort when they piled out of the van. It was brilliantly lit, the walkway to the dock hidden between darkness and trees. She could see teens in the main floor of the resort through the windows.

"Let's find Beck," Biji said and grabbed her hand. She tugged Summer into a side entrance and ran up stairs to the main level.

Summer followed. The Dark teens were lined on one side and the Light on the other. Only a few couples ventured onto the dance floor. The edges of the room were dark and the dance floor brightly lit while music throbbed. One wall held buffet tables lined with snacks and punch, and bright decorations had been hung up all over the room.

She wound her way through the Dark teens. A sense reached her, one that told her Decker was close even without seeing him. She glanced around before catching sight of Biji again. The smaller girl was waving at her frantically, standing in front of a small group of Light boys, including Beck.

Summer's heart pounded. She'd all but memorized his notes and recited them as she approached. Biji tapped his arm, and he turned, taking them both in with smiles. His hair was combed, his teal eyes making Summer's knees weak. She hadn't seen him in a few days and yet, his appearance didn't impact her as much as Decker's.

"Glad you could make it!" he said to her over the music. "You look great."

"You guys should dance!" Biji said.