"Weird, aren't they?" Beck asked. "Goes to show you never know who the psychos are."

It can't be her, Decker thought.

"So, no, I'm not going with her to the dance. But if you can take that twisted witchling off my hands, I'd appreciate it."

Decker stared at the ceiling.

"On the topic of twisted witches, Alexa was looking for you," Beck added. "We both have our girl issues. Did you break up with her or something?"

"Yeah."

"That would explain the dead bird she left at the door. Is that some kind of curse or something?"

"Pretty much." Decker didn't want to deal with Alexa at all.

"That's all I need," Beck said with a roll of his eyes.

"Your life seems pretty stable. What's wrong?" Decker asked, twisting his head to see his twin.

"There's a rumor about Dawn going around."

"Let me guess. She cheated on you."

"You heard it?" Beck asked.

"No, idiot. She cheated on me, remember?"

"Guess I didn't think about that. You guys didn't date long anyway."

Decker said nothing. His attention returned to the letters. He read another one, growing less and less convinced. He'd never seen any of Summer's writing, but she appeared too smart to misspell words like heaven. The girl who dutifully attended her fawn, had one friend, and rarely spoke didn't seem capable of the over-the-top language in the letters.

"This just—"

A knock at their door made him lower the letters. Beck crossed to the door as he buttoned his shirt.

Alexa stood in the doorway. Beck glanced at Decker, who rose.

"I'll go for a walk," Beck said, moving around her.

Decker took in Alexa's features. She looked determined, and there was a gleam in her gaze he couldn't interpret. She stepped into the room and closed the door behind her. Her one hand was shoved in her pocket. Without speaking, she moved towards him and pulled her fist out, flinging something at his face.

Decker coughed as what looked like black glitter sprayed him. His body absorbed the Dark magick of the spell, unaffected.

"You know Dark magick doesn't work on campus grounds," he told her, wiping it off his face. "What is it?"

"Love spell," she said and frowned. She searched his gaze. "Decker, the time we spent together was the best time of my life. Please, please tell me we can try again."

"No."

"I'll do anything, Decker."

"Alexa, I shouldn't have taken advantage of you. I'm sorry. I really am," he said with feeling. "I didn't think twice and should have."

"I heard Matilda tell Amber last night I might be the one who is meant to be your partner, to help you through your transition," she said. "I can do it, Decker."

"Matilda's wrong."

Loss then anger crossed Alexa's features. She paced. Decker eased away, sensing she was ready to explode.

"What if I'm pregnant?" she demanded.

"We used condoms."

"Condoms don't always work."