"Try it together," the instructor said.

Summer looked at Decker, who held out his hand. She took it.

"Okay, one, two, three," Decker said quietly.

They stepped together. Again and again, easily keeping pace with the music and each other. Her body flowed with the rhythm.

Jessie turned off the music. "I don't think you guys need lessons. Just go to the dance together."

Summer kept quiet, uncertain if Decker knew who her date was.

"I don't go to the dances," Decker said. "So you might as well keep teaching us."

"You sassin' me?" Jessie asked with a grin.

"No, Jessie. Summer's transition hasn't been easy. You might as well help her adjust."

Summer stared at him, surprised he'd talk that way to an instructor.

**

Decker didn't know what got into him, but he was angry at Jessie. Summer's body was relaxed in his arms, fitting against his in a way that seemed too natural. Her breasts were pressed against his chest. He'd thought the first day of dancing was torture, but today, the sensations were worse. Her magick didn't just call to him, it compelled him to her, like a paperclip to a magnet. It made his whole body ache in a way he'd never experienced.

He wanted her. Bad, and in more ways than he could identify. The rise and fall of her chest, the way she looked up at him. The desire he felt with Alexa was purely physical. This was something else, something primal.

"Alright, we'll keep dancing," Jessie said. She put on music then stood back to watch.

"Thank you, I think," Summer said, looking up at Decker.

"Sorry. I want to do this right for you," he said.

The connection between them grew stronger. He took in her brown eyes and long eyelashes, the pink flush across her face, the way she yielded to him when he held her. He'd hoped Alexa and keeping his distance would quell their connection, but it only grew stronger. They didn't even need to talk; magick moved between their bodies, as if they were one, not two individuals.

It was impossible to deny there was more between them than he could figure out. He'd debated not coming, but disappointing Summer had seemed worse than the torture of dancing with her.

"I have a favorite constellation," he said. "Scorpio."

"Beautiful constellation, tragic story," she murmured. "You know in mythology, Scorpio killed Orion, right?"

"Uh, no, I didn't." His face grew red. Was this a sign he should walk away from her for good? "Why are you so interested in stars?"

"I guess I'm not really. I had nothing to do at the orphanage, especially between schools. I used to read a lot. One of the other kids left textbooks out, so I read through the astronomy one and started trying to find the stars," she replied. "I read a lot of Shakespeare and other literature."

"I've read some Shakespeare. It's a little over my head," he admitted.

"I think there's beauty in his work. And tragedy. Always tragedy." Her voice grew soft, sad.

"Sorta like life."

"Yeah. Though being here, I've learned there's hope, too."

Jessie's phone rang.

Decker clamped his mouth shut. He wanted to say hope was for naïve fools, but he couldn't. Summer's eyes glowed with a light that hadn't been there when she arrived, and her soul no longer sang its lonesome song. She'd found hope in the place where he lost his.