"Peace," Summer said. "Mind-heart connection."

"Good. Beck, review the rest of them for our newest witchling?" Amber asked.

Beck snorted. "Decker incarnate."

"Be more specific."

"Fire, water, spirit. Passion, power, and instinct," Beck recited.

"So sexy," Sonya said.

"Until he burns or drowns you. He's got no self-control."

"Yeah," Sonya agreed dreamily. "He can't be tamed."

Summer listened, laughing at the looks on their faces. Beck was irritated, Sonya sighing.

"We're out of luck, Summer," he said. "We boring elements can't compete with Decker."

Summer better understood the dangerous draw to Decker. She felt it before she knew anything about the elements. That his magick was centered around volatile elements didn't surprise her.

"There's nothing boring about any elemental magick," Amber said, amused. "Earth is the most capable and the strongest, in the right hands."

"Yay," Beck said blandly.

"The protector of life and health, Beck. Think about it!"

"I guess I can heal all the hearts Decker breaks."

Summer laughed harder, uncertain why the exchange between Beck and Amber entertained her so much. Beck was smiling despite the digs at his brother. She didn't think he was far off about Decker breaking hearts, if Sonya was any indication of how the girls here considered the Dark twin.

"Don't you fall for him, too," Beck said to Summer with mock severity. "He's bad news!"

She heard the serious note in his voice, despite his attempt to be upbeat. Summer's laughter faded as Amber began their class. She didn't think she was falling for Decker. His touch made her body hum, but it wasn't like she'd ever even sought him out. She kept running into him and liked spending time with him. But she didn't understand how he wasn't evil, if he was Dark.

Beck, on the other hand, made her laugh. He was sweet and funny. He wasn't confusing like Decker was. She found herself enjoying his company and pleased he chose to sit by her instead of at the other picnic table.

Her attention soon shifted to trying to digest the information she learned from Amber and the other instructors about magick.

Summer's first week passed quickly as she became immersed in the new world. Dance class every morning was followed by other classes ranging from witchling history, elemental magick basics, spellcasting, Dark-Light relations, ethics, the impact of magick in modern society to basic literature and math, like she'd had in previous schools.

She'd seen Decker with the tall brunette whenever they had classes outside. He'd acknowledged her the first day and then, no more. The afternoons were free, and Summer managed to hide away in her room. She fed her fawn as much as she could and changed its bandage daily. It slept most of the time and lay listless when it wasn't sleeping.

She'd determined the animal wasn't going to make it during dance class on her tenth day there. The odd strategy used to teach them to understand their body became a soothing daily hour, and she found it was the only thing she really looked forward to. It was the only thing she was better at than any of the other girls.

After dance class on the tenth day, she returned to her room to find two surprises. The first was a note slid under the door. Summer opened it curiously.