Meet Skip

Nate was kind of used to the house at this point, but not the people and he was definitely not used to being picked up. He still refused Steph picking him up, but was okay with Matt picking him up sometimes. It had been a week since Matt bought him, and as he recalled, he was going to meet a cat today. The very thought terrified him. Stephanie would be back any minute with the cat. Matt brought Nate's room to the living room earlier, in case he wanted to stay in there.

Nate was on Matt's laptop on the coffee table, watching videos of Matt's called Game Theory on YouTube. He was watching a three-part series about something called Pokemon and was on the part about a Pokemon called Jynx being a racist stereotype and what it was based off of when the door opened. Nate closed the browser.

Stephanie walked into the house with Skip in a kennel. She noticed that Nate paused a video on Matt's laptop, but she hadn't been able to catch what one.

Nate was frozen, with his eyes set on an object he'd never seen before that Stephanie was holding.

"Where's Matt?" Steph asked him. Nate blinked. "He went to take a nap in the bedroom," Nate said, getting down from the table and ran over to the bedroom. "Matt, Stephanie's back," Nate said, running behind Matt as he got up. "Okay, I'm up," Matt said. Nate ran back to the living room and climbed the table leg, and got into his room.

"Hey Skeep!" Matt said in a strange voice Nate had never heard as Steph opened the kennel. "Hey buddy. Nate, this is Skip," Matt said in his normal voice as the Tiny stared at the cat. The main thing Nate was uncomfortable about, besides it's size, was it's claws. He knew cats had claws, and that when they're mad, the claws would come out and they would scratch you. He also knew animals could smell fear.

"H-h-hi S-s-s-skip," Nate stuttered and looked away. Stephanie closed Nate's door to his room (still lacking better words) and picked it up and put it on the floor.

Skip walked towards the box, unaware that it was a box because it was clear plastic. Skip pawed at the box, not understanding how the tiny creature had a force field. Skip walked around the box, and then realized his body could press against something. Skip pawed the top of the box and the creature inside made a sudden loud noise.

Nate was put in the closed box on the floor. The cat seemed to be unable to see plastic, making it confused and making Nate almost feel safe. Nate saw the cat trying to touch him from above and the paws looked so BIG this close up that Nate got super scared and screamed.

Matt and Steph watched as the two interacted. Skip seemed to not realize that Nate was in a box, and Nate wasn't freaked out. Skip then realized there was a box, and found the top of it. Nate must have thought that the cat was going to push the ceiling down on him or something because he screamed. Stephanie picked up the box and the humans stood up. "Are you okay, Nate?" Stephanie asked as Matt went to put Skip in a kennel. Stephanie took Nate to the bedroom, far away from the cat, and placed the box on the dresser. Nate was curled up into a ball in the middle of his room on the ground. He shook his head.

"What's wrong?" Steph asked. "I-I-I....big c-cat...h-huge p-p-p-paws..." Nate stuttered. "It's okay. It's not your fault for getting scared. To you, Skip's really big. It's okay. He's gone now," Steph said. "G-g-gone?" "Matt's putting him in a kennel so he won't wander in here," she explained. Nate, still traumatized, started crying. Since Matt wasn't back yet, Stephanie carefully opened Nate's door and then reached in to touch his hair. She started petting him gently with one finger. Nate realized what she was doing and stayed still, and slowly stopped crying. Once he stopped crying, he got up and got out of his room. He took a moment to compose himself.

"Pick me up, please," Nate requested. Stephanie did so carefully and put him on her palms. "Stay still," Nate said as he climbed up onto Stephanie's shoulder. He then gave her a sort of hug. Stephanie realized what he was trying to do and picked him up and placed him against her chest so they could hug easier. "Thanks," Nate said. "You're welcome," Steph said as Matt came into the room.