»part 18 » icarus and the sun

I think I loved too much

So much so that I let it cloud my realism.

Have you ever heard the Greek story of Icarus? The kid who flew too close to the sun? If not, I wouldn't be surprised because the school system is a joke these days. Let me break it down for you.

Icarus was the son of the famous artisan, Daedalus. Daedalus was all sorts of crafty, like DIY kind of crafty. One day his nephew invented, what we now call, the saw. Daedalus grew so jealous of this nephew that he killed him. Due to his crimes, he was sent to be prisoner of King Minos of Crete. He eventually had a son with one of the kings' mistresses. Kinky, right? The kid was obviously Icarus but I'll get to that in a moment. Anyway, the King ordered Daedalus to build the infamous maze known as the Labyrinth. Their goal was to trap the half man, half bull creature, Minotaur. Anyone who entered the Labyrinth was eventually hunted and killed by the Minotaur. Fast forward through some shit, Daedalus got caught trying to help someone get through the Labyrinth and was then sent to serve the rest of his time, as well as his son's time, in the Labyrinth. But Daedalus, being the crafty prick he was, decided to create wings out of feathers, wax, and boards to escape the heinous maze.

Before escaping, Daedalus warned Icarus not to cast too low to the ocean in fear of the water compromising his wings. He also warned him not to cast too high or the sun would melt the wax.

Icarus was so excited he was finally free. He lived in the darkness for so long that he was enthralled by the beauty of light and freedom. He was finally breathing fresh air after what felt like being trapped in a box his whole life. He was free. He was no longer a prisoner.

But with the beauty of the wild comes danger. He was so distracted by the magnificence sight he forget his father's warning. Don't fly to close to the sun. Which is exactly what he did. The wax melted causing his feathers to fall away in the wind which lead him to fall. He fell to the ocean which ultimately led to his death so shortly after his freedom.

Sad shit, right?

Yeah, that's what it was like loving Lip Gallagher.

I was so enthralled of the idea of being with someone who understood me that I didn't see what we really were to each other. I didn't see that we were too different to love one another. I didn't care that we were toxic and volatile.

Or at least I did but I didn't care.

I was a selfish brat. Like always.

They say feeling numb is better than feeling pain. I don't know who the fuck said that but I'm sure they've never had their heart broken by Lip Gallagher.

I tried to stay numb. I tried to not feel. I tried with everything in me to forget last night but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't. It haunted all the darkest parts of my mind. It lingered in the corners of my thoughts.