19: To The Pitch Black Streets

"You cannot love a thing without wanting to fight for it." - G. K. Chesterton

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Another teacher knows.

My stomach dropped.

"Hey, Patrick, is everything alright?" Joe asked.

I could barely get the words out of my mouth, shaking my head as my fingers flew across my keyboard.

To: Pete <3

I'm coming over.

"Are you sure? You look really pale," Andy said, placing a hand on my shoulder. I shoved my phone in my pocket so he couldn't read my screen.

"Y-yeah my Aunt just-" I stuttered, unable to come up with the full lie. "It's just a family emergency. I have to go."

I stood up, Joe grabbing his keys, as I gave him a confused look. "I'll drive you." I tried to protest, but he wouldn't listen to anything that I tried to tell him. I unwillingly followed him to the car, Andy riding shotgun with me in the backseat. I could hardly even remember getting in the car and putting on my seatbelt.

He turned out of the driveway, towards my house, when I spoke up. "Actually, c-can you drive me to my cousin's house?"

He glanced in the rearview mirror as I bit my lip, avoiding his eyes. "Yeah, sure. Where is it?"

"It's a street over from the park, on Forest Avenue." He turned the car around as Andy looked up to give me a quizzical stare. I immediately looked away, I was afraid that he would see through my lies.

I stared out the window, my mind racing. Which teacher was it? How much did they know? What would happen to me?

What would happen to Pete?

I was so caught up in my worries that I didn't even notice we were on his street until Joe spoke up. "Just let me know which house it is."

I perked up, looking out the front window. "Uh, it's that yellow one up on the right, across from the big pine tree." He nodded, slowing down, as I glanced at my phone. "He said the front door's broken, so I'll just go in the back."

He nodded again as he pulled up to the curb. I'm glad I said right, so I didn't have to cross the street.

After giving so much false information, I didn't have the courage left in me to look either of them in the eye. I reached for the door handle, mumbling a 'thanks' as they wished the best of my non-existent aunt. I could hardly feel my legs as I was trespassing. What if the owner of the house saw me walking on their property, and yelled at me while they were still here?

It didn't seem to be an issue, however, as I glanced over my shoulder when I got to the edge of the house. Their car was already around the corner, and I lingered for a moment until it was completely out of sight. I sprinted to the other side of the street before anyone saw me before I slowed to a walk as I made my way a few doors down.

I soon found myself standing in front of the blue door, my heart pounding as I knocked. The door barely creaked open when I was pulled inside, the door slamming and locking behind me.

A pair of dark, brown eyes were staring into my own. My breath became hitched in my throat, and I couldn't seem to move. Every emotion I've felt in a while hit me all at once, though I tried my hardest to not let it show. His body was nearly pressed up against his mine, one hand resting next to my head, as he hadn't moved since he slammed the door.

"How'd you get here?" I stared at his lips as they moved, dangerously close to mine.

It was difficult for me to start speaking. It was like the first time that we met,m y words were getting caught in my throat. "J-Joe drove me. Andy was in the car too."