15: I'd Do It All Again

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around every once in a while, you might miss it.  - Ferris Bueller, Ferris Bueller's Day Off

  ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~  

I darted through the crowds of people in the halls. Trying to find one man out of a cluster of hundreds of high school students was nearly impossible. Yes, please stop directly in the middle of the hall with a group of ten people. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

I caught sight of the back of his head and quickened my pace, dodging the masses of people. I eventually caught him as he walked over to his vacant lunch table in the corner of the cafeteria. I placed my hand on his shoulder, causing him to spin around. "Hey Andy, can you do me a huge favor?

He nodded. "Sure?"

I lowered my voice. "I need you to cover me."

"Why? Are you going to go rob a bank or something? Jeez, I'd at least want to be the getaway man-"

"Just shut up." I laughed. "I need to go somewhere Saturday night, and I can't tell my mom exactly where. I'm not going to a party or going to do anything illegal, I promise. But I just need to tell her I'm sleeping over at a friend's house."

He nodded, then sat down at the table, motioning for me to sit down next to him. I followed and he said, "yeah, my mom's out of town. That'll work."

"Thank you so so much Andy, I'll-" I went to go stand up, but he grabbed my shoulder and pushed me back down.

He looked over his shoulder, checking to see if anyone was listening. "I do have to ask what this is about, though."

I took a deep breath and looked into his eyes. "I think you already know."

"Pete?"

I nodded. "Look, Andy, you can't tell anyone."

He sighed. "Patrick-"

"I don't care!" I yelled, causing some people to turn and stare. I lowered my voice, and they returned to whatever they were doing. "You can't tell anyone. Please. I can't- I'll get in so much shit. Pete will get in so much shit. I can't do that to him. Someone else already found out, and Pete just-" I shook my head.

"He was so frustrated, so angry. It was terrifying. I can't let anyone know. Please, it's bad enough that two people know now. You can't tell anyone."

He pursed his lips. "You do under-"

"Yes, I understand that it's wrong and illegal and gay and fucking disgusting but I just don't care!" I yelled again. "He's worth it."

He was silent for a minute. "Fine, but you have to eat lunch with us for once." As if on cue, Joe walked over to the table.

"Patrick! You haven't dropped off the face of the Earth!" Joe exclaimed, setting down his tray.

"Fuck off," I mumbled, putting my lunch on the table. Taking out my phone, I sent a text to him.

To: Pete <3

Good news and bad news.

Good: Andy's covering me Saturday so I'm good.

Bad: He's forcing me to eat lunch with him

I could see him typing almost immediately after I sent the message.

From: Pete <3

Does he know?

I groaned, dreading telling him.

To: Pete <3

Yes. I didn't tell him. He just knew.