Chapter 14

I go into the United Center and quickly find my usual seat. Right next to the area where the zambonis come out of. I sit there with my eyes closed waiting for this night to be over. The whistle startles me and I look up and see Mike doing a face off. He gets the puck and passes to Daniel Berezin. Daniel passes to George and they almost score. Stephen Jonathon gets the puck and passes it to Mike who is zooming down the ice,but then Kristoff Alan from the Calgary Flames checks Mike hard and Mike falls. The arena goes quite. Kristoff looks down at Mike. He kneels down and seems to ask if he's alright

He lies there like he did two weeks ago this time though there's blood. I scream. People stare. This time he doesn't move just lies there. All the players gather around him. I scream more and more,but nobody seems to hear me. Finally, I can't take it anymore I climb over the railing and run onto the ice. All the players back away.

"Mike Mike c'mon honey."

Nothing

"Mike!" I sob.

George and Lucas pull me away. I fall into their arms. They seem to shelter me from everything like Mike does. I lie there in pain.I didn't injure any part of my body,but my heart aches. I sob continuously and when Mike is wheeled off the ice. George and Lucas pick me up like and infant and carry me to the ambulance. They sit in there with me brushing my hair trying to make me feel better,but it does no good. When we get out they take off their gear and rush me in. The nurses watching the game see me and run towards me with a stretcher. George lays me on there, and briefly I see Mike go past. A nurse stabs me with a needle and I black out.  

When I awake a Elaine and Helen are standing over me with doleful looks.

"What ,what happened?" I slur.

"You'll be alright sweety it's just that.." Helen trails off.

"What."

"Well," Elaine says," Mike hasn't woken up yet."

"What?"

"He's not in a coma he's just not it's really hard to explain."

Then Doctor Richards comes in.

"Is he alright?"

"Well we know for sure now. He's in a coma."

"What?"

"I'm sorry. "

Hot tears begin to form around my eyes.

"Will he ever wake up?"

"We don't know yet."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"Shirley we are trying everything we can to wake your husband up."

I sit there shocked at what I just heard. My lips begin to quiver and my eyes are blinded by tears.

"Will he at least be the same when he does wake up?"

"Yes and no."

"What do you mean?'

"Well he'll be able to do everything a normal person can do except..."

"Except what?"

"He'll never be able to play hockey again."

"What?"

"I'm sorry now I have to leave and check on my other patients."

He leaves the room without another word.

Elaine and Helen look at me with tears in their eyes too. I couldn't take it anymore.

"Where is he?"

"What?"

"Where is my husband?"

"Room 203."

I climb out of bed and run. I see the room number 203 and when I open the door. I fall to the ground in tears.