Chapter 13

I stand there frozen. Looking unto the ice. Seeing Mike on his back with blood dripping from his head. I scream ,but nothing comes out. Then I'm shaken awake by Mike.

"Honey you were having a bad dream."

"What?" I look at my bedsheets and they are soaked with sweat.

"Is everything okay?"

I take some deep breathes and I smile at him reassuring him that I was alright.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

"Well I gotta go, coach wants me at practice."

"Do what you have to do."

"Thanks."

He kisses me lightly on the forehead and leaves. I sigh and quickly take the sheets of the bed and toss them in the washer. Then I get in the shower. I sit down exhausted from my night's dream.

I remember when I became so nervous about Mike. It wasn't until his junior year of college. We went to Cornell and Mike's team was facing Harvard. Then two minutes into the game. Some guy that shouldn't even be allowed to play hockey hip checked Mike. Mike landed on his back and couldn't get up. I wasn't sure if he was really hurt or just got the wind knocked out of him.

Then few minutes went by and Mike still wasn't moving. I became scared luckily one of Mikes teamates was by the glass so I called him over and asked what was going on.

"Mike says he cant get up so they have the doctor out there to see if he broke something."

That made me even more worried. Soon after that coversation they got a stretcher out and took Mike to the hospital. They wouldn't allow me to go. I know I would have been fine if they had just let me be with him. Instead I waited in my dorm room for 6 hours. Finnaly I got a call saying Mike was okay and he just had gotten the wind knocked out of him, but he did bruise his legs and back badly.

After that day I was never the same. I stop the water and get out. I dry my hair and find an outfit to go out in. Driving has always calmed me for some reason I don't know why. After about ten minutes of driving I get a call from Mike.

"Hey Shirley coach wants me to stay here."

"What do you nean?"

"He wants me to stay here and practice until Saturday."

"For four days he wants you to stay there?"

"I know! It's aggravating but I need to stay. "

"I understand."

"Thanks babe.

"Bye."

"Bye.

I sigh. I drive to Five Guys and order a single burger. I then drive home. Eating in your condo alone is not fun,not fun at all. The rest of day went by slowly. So did the other four days. On Saturday the day seemed to go by even more slowly. Then it was game time.