Chapter 4

Chapter 4

            I wake up with the sun shining on my face. I must have fallen asleep for I am still on the couch. I sit up still in the clothes I wore last night and I look around for Mike. I do not see him. I stand up and go to our bedroom. Our bedroom is painted a light blue with white carpeting and a simple king sized white bed. Mike is not in here. I go back to the main room and look for traces of him. His exercising bag is gone, and he only brings that bag if he's downstairs at our gym.

            I sigh, grab my keys, walk out our door, and lock it. When I push the button for the elevator, I am thinking if he is down doing anything but sitting the deal is off and he is waiting 21 days. I get onto the elevator and press button 5. The elevator slowly goes down to floor 5. As I am about to get off I see Mike just getting on. He is slightly sweaty wearing his workout clothes with an awkward smile on his face.

            "Hi dear, I thought you would be asleep."

            "Get on."

            The doors close and I am about to explode with rage.

            "Shirley I am so sorry about this I..."

            "What were you thinking? You could have blacked out again and fallen on something."

            "I know I know and it won't happen again."

            "You're right because we are going to stick with 21 days; even if you are 100 percent on day 14 you will not be getting on that ice."

            "Shirley please I am sorry please please let me. I swear I will just sit on the couch all day every day from now on."

            He gets down on his knees and smiles. I cannot resist that smile. I smile and say

            "Get up its okay."

            "Thank you thank you."

            He kisses me and then hugs me. The doors open and we are on our floor again. I open the door and Mike places his bag on the floor and goes into the bathroom. I go into the kitchen, which consist of a refrigerator an oven a sink a stove and a microwave. I look at the oven clock and see that it is 9:05. I hear the shower turn on and I go into out room and grab a towel. I open the bathroom door and say,

            "Forgetting something."

            I wave the towel and Mike says,

            "Oh yeah thanks."

            I place the towel on the sink and leave. Mike has always been a forgetful person, but when it comes to hockey, he can name players in the NHL right now, their stats, and their favorite plays. I open the refrigerator; pull out some eggs and bacon. I place them on the counter, and pull out two pans. I light the stove and place the pans on it. I pull of so butter and place two small pieces into each pan.

            As I wait for the butter to melt, I think about what happened last night. The memory of him falling makes me cringe. I hear the shower stop and the door open. I pull out a strip of bacon, and cringe at the smell. It must have been bad because the smell of it is awful. I place the bacon down, run into the bathroom, and throw up.

            I come out to see Mike with a grey shirt and grey sweatpants on with a worried look on his face. He comes towards me and places his hands on my shoulders.

            "Are you okay?"

            "I do not know."

            "Well maybe you should lie down I'll make you some tea. "