“Aman,” Hiten whispered to Aman as the second course was being served.  

Aman looked over at Hiten, who seemed to have forgotten about the whole coat closet incident.  Hiten nodded his head slightly over at Tamana.

“Isn’t that…?” Hiten asked.

Aman nodded sadly.  Hiten sighed and looked at Priya and back to Tamana.  He was about to dig into the second course.  

“Orecchiette with veal,” the waiter said.

Hiten’s hand whacked the bowl of pasta that went flying across the table.  It was his first instinct.  He was about to eat a baby cow!  The Orecchiette landed on the other side of the table, some of it spilling on Tamana’s husband, who didn’t react so well to having pasta spilled on his trousers.  Everyone stared in amazement wondering what had gotten into Hiten.  Aman stifled a laugh. Hiten was always on to reach over the top to any situation.  Aditi couldn’t hold herself back and started to giggle.  Priya, confused at what just happened, could only focus on the food in front of her. She was starving.  She was about to eat some of the Orecchiette when Aman’s hand suddenly enveloped hers, causing her to drop her fork on the table.  

Tamana’s husband started making a scene, chastising Hiten for ruining his expensive suit.  Tamana hadn’t even noticed the bit of food that had gotten on her sari.  Her eyes were locked on Aman and Priya’s intertwined hands.  Her gaze intensely focused on Aman.  

“Veal is cow, Priya.” Aman whispered to his wife.

Priya looked down at the Orecchiette uneasily.  Aman instructed the waiter to take his, Priya’s, and Aditi’s plates away.  Tamana looked on in jealousy.  Her traditional husband was adverse to eating beef as well, for cows are sacred to Hindus.  However, he had told her to suck it up and just eat it so they wouldn’t create a scene, yet here he was creating a huge scene himself. It irked her how much Aman seemed to care for the wife he claims he doesn’t love.  

Tamana’s husband stomped off to the bathroom to try to salvage was he could of his suit.  Hiten sat back down, exhausted by the constant apologising he was just subjected to.  

“Damn! He was a hard ass. I even offered to buy the guy another suit, and he still got angry.” Hiten said.

“Well, you did throw pasta at him.” Aman pointed out.

“Veal, Aman. Who the hell eats veal?” Hiten answered.  He then inquired about the rest of the menu.  There would be a choice of steak or fish for the main course, but Hiten would obviously choose the fish so there were no further problems.  Aditi couldn’t stop from laughing. Hiten was so entertaining!

“Okay, well the veal is gone, Hiten. Don’t worry.” Aman laughed.  He looked over at Priya, who seemed amused by Hiten’s actions.  Aman’s eyes wandered over to Tamana.  She was still staring at him.  Aman became uncomfortable under her gaze.  The next course was served, and she kept glancing up at him.  It was too much to take.  Priya didn’t seem to notice Tamana’s behavior, and Aman was a little more relieved. Hiten noticed  but couldn’t point it out because Priya would hear.  

Finally, the dinner came to an end.  The main course was served.  Hiten double checked to make sure fish was in front of him, and not steak.  After dessert, the men and the women began to separate.  The men were off to smoke some cigars, while the women were planning to engage in some riveting gossip.  

“Let’s leave. I don’t really feel like mingling some more.” Aman suggested.

“Yeah let’s go.” Hiten quickly agreed, understanding why Aman was in a hurry to leave.