Chapter 39

Priya paused.  She hadn’t really thought about whether or not she was still angry with Aman since he’d gotten in the accident.  Of course, his infidelity had hurt her even more deeply since she realized she now loved him.

       “Let’s just focus on your recovery.” Priya said quickly, trying to make an escape.

       “You're avoiding the question.” Aman pointed out.

       Priya held the door open, ready to leave.

       “If you need an answer, then it’s yes.” Priya said, stepping out of Aman’s room and closing the door behind her.

       Aman sighed in disappointment.  Priya hadn’t ever shown that she was still angry with Aman throughout his recovery.  A part of him was hoping that she’d forgiven him because of his car accident, but sadly that wasn’t the case.  He wondered why Priya was still angry.  She was justified in being angry, but why has that anger lasted so long?  Couldn’t she just throw a tantrum, yell at him and then forget it?  He didn’t like this prolonged anger that she possessed.  The fact that her anger was subtle confused him even more.

       Aman’s medication instantly made him drowsy.  Priya came back to check up on him many times throughout the day.  He was in such a deep sleep that he didn’t even stirred when she entered.  Kamla tried to wake him up to get him to eat dinner, but he mumbled that he wasn’t hungry and went back to sleep.  Priya also tried a little later but Aman gave no response.  Priya picked up the medication and read the label.  It claimed some intense drowsiness. Priya had been afraid that she’d given him the wrong dosage, but she followed all of the doctor’s instructions.  Priya sat down on Aman’s bed and wondered why he’d been sleeping so much.  It was late, so there was no point in waking him up now.  She herself was tired and decided to go back to her own room.

       “Priya!” Aman’s voice reached Priya’s ears.  She stirred awake, wondering if she’d heard correctly.

       “Priya!” Aman called again.  She heard a grunt.  Priya rushed out of her bedroom and down the hall into Aman’s room.

       “What’s the matter?” Priya asked urgently.  

       Aman was awake and writhing in pain.  He was clutching his abdomen and was in a cold seat.  Priya rushed to his side.  She ran down to the kitchen and got a cold compress to put on Aman’s forehead.  She went back up to his bedroom and unwrapped the bandages around his abdomen.  She applied some medicine to his wound and rewrapped it with some fresh bandages.  Then, she gave him some painkillers.

       “How are you feeling now?” Priya asked after a  few minutes.

       “Much better.  Sorry for waking you up in the middle of the night.” Aman answered.

       “Aman, you were in pain.  It’s a good thing you woke me up.” Priya replied sincerely.

       Aman looked at Priya.  He reached out and placed his hand over hers.  She looked up at him expectantly.

       “Maybe you should just stay here.” Aman said, his gaze boring into Priya.

       “Stay here?” Priya said unsurely.

       “Stay in my bedroom with me just in case.” Aman said.

       “In case?” Priya asked.

       “What if you hadn’t heard me tonight or what if something worse happens?  You should just stay here.  It’s better that way.” Aman declared.