Chapitre 2

Today was our third day being here and my first day of school. I don't know whether to hide under the bed or hide in the garage. Being the new kid is not the best thing in the world.

I put the last of my supplies in my backpack and zip the zipper up. It was 7:10 so I still had time for breakfast. As I pass the bathroom, I see Morgan bouncing up and down while brushing her teeth. She was listening to Tous Les Mêmes. Such a great song.

I head down stairs and into the kitchen where dad was fixing pancakes. American flapjacks. I thank the heavens that he's fixing the American ones and not the British ones. The British pancakes are too flat and their flapjacks are oat bars. I like my pancakes/flapjacks fluffy.

"Good morning Valerie."

I hum in response. I hate saying good morning and my dad knew that. He's always okay with my hums. I head towards the fridge and open it, trying to find the milk.

"Valerie. Would you be interested in babysitting little kids in the neighborhood?" I turn around with the milk jug in my hand and stare at dad in confusion. I'd rather die than babysit.

"Um. No? Why?" I ask. I grab a cup and pour the milk in it.

"Because Stepanov's babysitter quit on him. He needs a new babysitter. Plus he has some family close to your age you can befriend." My dad place two more pancakes on a plate stack with them and turns off the stove.

"If he has family the age of me then why can't any of them watch the kids?" What's the point in having them around if they can't take care of the kids?

"I don't know, but I stated that you and Morgan wouldn't mind looking after them. But it's your call." I contemplate on the idea of babysitting, not really liking it. But dad adds, "You get paid." And with that I'm hooked.

I sigh knowing that I won't like the idea but dad already said before that I won't have an allowance so... why not? "Okay. When do I start?"

I grab a plate and put four pancakes on it. I grab the maple syrup and head to the dinner table.

"Today actually. Right after school. Your mom will pick you up and bring you to Stepanov's house." And with that he called Morgan so she can get breakfast.

After finishing the breakfast, we all left to go to our destinations. I get out of the car and head towards the high school. Woodside High School. It's an okay looking school I guess.

I turn around and wave good bye to mom and dad before heading to the front doors. I open the doors, not wanting to prolong this because I'll probably get a panic attack if I did.

Making my way down the hallway, I spot the office door and enter the room. I'm supposed to talk to Ms. Ana so she can give me my schedule. I look around the office in hope of spotting a name tag or something. To my utter surprise, I do.

I make my way over to the name tag that says Ms. Ana and tap the bell that was on display.

A blonde woman turns her chair around to stare at me. She has ocean blue eyes and brown eyebrows. She raises her recently done eyebrows at me with a smile on her face.

"Oi! Hello there. What can I do for you?" she asks.

"Um. I'm Valerie. I'm new here and I need my schedule." Her eyes light up in recognition. She moves a couple of papers before finding my schedule. She stands up and walks over to me.

She hands me my schedule while saying, "Here you go. How bout I show you around?" I nod my head since I do need help. This school is pretty big. I mean bigger than my old school.

She leads me out of the office and into the hallway. Already there were people from upperclass and underclass filing in the hallway. Surprisingly there was no chaos. They seemed so organized even though there were many teenagers.

We move our way down the hall and turn left. We reach a door with the numbers of 120. "Here you go. This is 120, Maths."

As she was going to continue talking, a blond head boy almost speeds past us until Ms. Ana catches a hold of him. "Ah Mr. Stepanov. Nice to see you going to class today."

The blond boy looks at Ms. Ana's hands in confusion and shakes it off him. "Yeah well I'm tryna be good today." He smiles at Ms. Ana before turning his eyes at me.

I look at him in awe. He looks so beautiful. He has turquoise eyes the size of a raisin. His hair is in a quiff and his body is muscular. Like he works out every day. He probably does. I gulp at how good looking he is. Eye candy.

He smirks at me and holds out his hand. "The names Erik Stepanov. And yours?"

I look at his hand and stare at it for a while. I don't really like physical contact but I don't want to be rude so I take hold of it. "Valerie." He nods his head and removes his hand.

"Well now that you guys have met can you be a dear and walk her to her classes so she won't be lost?" Ms. Ana asks Erik.

"Sure." He opens the door for me and we walk in the class.

As the day goes by I learn new things about Erik Stepanov.

Erik is apparently from Russia and moved here when he was a year old. He's the younger brother of Vladimir Stepanov, my neighbor. So that made him my neighbor also. He takes seven out of eight classes with me and walked me to all four of my classes since today was a half day.

I head out to the parking lot to see mom waiting for me and skip over to the car. I open the door before shutting it once I get in.

"How was the first day?" my mom asks me once she gets out of the parking lot.

"Pretty good" I turn around to see Morgan pass out with her mouth open. Snoring like a hog. I chuckle and play with my fingers.

"That's great. I'm glad it went well. Meet any people?"

"Yes. A guy name Erik Stepanov. He's apparently our neighbor." She nods her head and turns the car right.

"At least you're making friends. Make sure you can trust him though. Don't want you getting hurt." I quietly say okay before looking out the window.

She stops the car in front of a big mansion and turns to me. She reaches for a large blue bag on the passenger seat. Opening the bag wide she pulls out a box and hands it to me. "I should have given you this this morning but I guess it's better late than never. Here you go."

She hands me the box and I open it to see that it's a brand new phone. "All you have to do is power it on. There's earphones and a charger in there. And here is the case I brought for it." She hands me a phone case shaped like a bee. "Call when you need me okay?"

I nod my head while putting the case on the phone. Mom wakes up Morgan and gives her her lunch box that she asked for when we were going to school. She didn't want to ask Mr. Stepanov for any food so mom stored it herself.

Morgan and I get out of the car and wave Mom goodbye. I head up the stairs to the doors before ranging the door bell. In an instant, the door opens. Mr. Stepanov looks at my mom and waves before gesturing us in.