Diane traced a red line on the map that designated a major highway, "We know that the medical research center is to the west and is beside a major highway that touches the mountains. There are three main highways. This one is very far north, so it is likely not it."

She pointed a different line further down, "This one is dead west of Calgary, there are dozens of towns along it and will have a fairly high zombie population. They did say it was north of Calgary, so I doubt this is the one. It will be our second choice."

She moved her finger up to the red line between the other two, "This one is west of us and seems to be our best option. There are few towns along it, so there shouldn't be too many zombies. There are also several settlements between here and there. Hopefully one of those towns will know exactly where it is."

I nodded, it sounded like a good plan to me. I pointed to the thinner red lines, "What about these roads?"

"Those are small secondary highways and I sure hope that it isn't on one of those or else we are going to have to get good directions from a local group of survivors."

I blinked at the dozens of small red lines. If we had to check them all, it would take us years to walk along them all. I hoped that the place we were looking for was on one of the three big highways. Diane seemed pretty sure that it was on the one highway from what she had overheard, so I was going to trust her instincts.

It would take us a couple of months to get that far. That was a lot of distance even with a horse. If the cars had still been running we could have made it there in one day, although it would have taken most of the day at highway speeds.

It didn't take us long to pack since we didn't have much. I helped to saddle Smokey and climbed into the saddle while Diane held his halter. He was full of energy. Yesterday hadn't really settled him down any. It may take a few days to mellow him out.

We didn't travel as hard today. Diane was alert, but relaxed as she jogged along beside me. We mostly let Smokey set the pace and he set a pretty good pace. He seemed determined to try and tire out Diane. He was a sucker for punishment.

We made several small stops so I could stretch my legs and let Smokey grab a few bites to eat. My legs were a bit sore from riding such a big horse. The three weeks with the Traders had helped, but it couldn't prepare me for riding from sunup to sundown. Diane showed me how to sit sidesaddle and that helped a lot.

That was the only downside though. I had never been so happy in all my life. My wish had come true. It was just Diane and me with no one else around. She had relaxed and didn't bother hiding her abilities.

I hadn't realized just how much she had hid before. She was fast. She was also strong and nearly tireless. I loved watching her eyes, they always seemed to shimmer now.

What I hadn't expected, was that when she opened up, I also opened up. I didn't have to worry about someone rebuking me and I knew that she wouldn't just leave me in the middle of the wilderness, so I didn't have to watch my behavior so carefully. It made such a difference.

I hadn't laughed so much in my life. Almost all of my laughter was from happiness and delight. Diane's grins and laughter were also more abundant. Both of us seemed to be in a perpetually good mood.

There was nothing and no one to distract her, so I had her undivided attention. She was constantly pointing out different things. From small flowers hidden in the grass to numerous animals and birds. I simply couldn't believe how much she saw.

She pointed silently once more and I peered in that direction. "What am I looking for?"

Her voice was low, "Look by the raspberry bushes, there is a fox watching us."