Chapter 1: The Elite Squadron

Začít od začátku

"Seems like we've got a decent one this year," a bored voice mused from behind Chi. She spun around, coming face to face with someone she recognized as "humanity's strongest," a man who went by the name of Levi. She immediately straightened her back and spread her feet apart, tucking her left arm behind her back with the back of her right fist on her chest where her heart was.

"Corporal Levi!" she saluted.

Levi scoffed. "You made it into the Survey Corps," he scorned. "There's no need for you to kiss ass anymore. Fake, shitty people aren't needed around this hellhole, anyways."

Chi dropped her arms and slackened her posture, her eyes of molten gold flashing in slight perturbation. "Yes, sir."

Levi stared at Chi for a cold, hard moment. "What's your name, newbie?"

"Matsumoto—Chisaki Matsumoto, but please call me Chi."

Levi's eyebrows twitched. Narrowing his eyes, he studied her closely,

Auburn hair cascaded down her back in straight locks, her bangs pushed back against the side of her face. As for her eyes, they were a sunflower-like color that shone brightly with the light reflecting from the sun. Her face was sunkissed from her years of training in the hot, unforgiving sun. Full, rosey lips were carved into her face.

"Since you snapped that training log in half," Levi said nonchalantly.

Chi's eyes narrowed suspiciously. "You don't normally spectate on new Survey Corps members, do you?"

"I'm talking about your skills," he trailed, his voice thick and calculating.

"Yes? And what about them?"

Although his demeanor seemed rather careless, there was an edge to Levi's voice. "They're far more impressive than many you get around here."

"So?" Chi scoffed. "What of it?"

Levi's lips curled back into a slight frown. "Why did you join the Survey Corps? You do realize you could be within the safety of the innermost walls if you'd joined the Military Police?"

"That's not what I want. I joined the Survey Corps for my own reason."

Levi's eyes flashed; he had found what he was looking for. "And what is that reason?"

"I want to destroy every single titan," Chi spoke valiantly, "and I want to save humanity. It won't matter if I throw away my life. I've trained for five years for this reason alone—and I know it wasn't all for nothing. I will go outside this cage and destroy what's stopping us from getting our freedom."

Levi wasn't too surprised at such a response; he had expected as much from someone with her character. Chi's tawny eyes blazed with a young determination. He hadn't heard such a reason before... except, maybe from Eren. But then again, Eren was now part-titan, and Chi was only human—though her powers excelled those of a regular human.

"How about we spar?" Levi offered, removing his cloak from his shoulders. "I usually don't get myself involved, but my interest has been piqued."

Chi's jaw dropped. She was appalled; this corporal wanted her to spar with him? Should she have been afraid of him? Should she have refused his offer? Or was this some kind of test to prove her loyalty?

With her own mind still unable to comprehend the reality, she gave a slight disoriented nod and shifted into her stance. Her fists were hesitant when she raised them to her chest. Levi dusted off his shoulders and cracked his neck a few times before copying her.

Out of the corner of her eyes, she spotted the new Corps begin staring and whispering - probably wondering about who would win. There was probably some talk about her insolence as well; her first day as a Survey Corps member, and she was already picking a fight with the head honcho? Regardless of why people were watching, this was most definitely quite the sight to see.