Chapter 3

Three hours later we finished our training. We had to carefully develop the choreography so that within the next few days we could focus on other tracks. The concert was quickly approaching and our time was running out.

"All right, that's enough for today," Miranda exclaimed, which I accepted with relief.

Dancing on tiptoe was really exhausting. I wasn't a professional ballerina and I just wasn't accustomed to such long workouts. I felt as if every muscle in my legs begged for relaxation. When I finally slid my tight, rigid shoes off my feet, I sighed with satisfaction. I put my aching feet on the cold floor, and massaged the tense muscles. The cold floor only helped a little. The pain felt like pain sliding a pair of high heels off after a long day of walking. The relief was indescribable.

Lena and Kathy did the same, though the Lena's smile never disappeared when she looked at James. I shook my head, amused. I was tempted to take a picture of her, but I didn't have my phone with me. Maybe another time I could capture that blissful expression. Of course, I would have to save backup photos in case Lena tried to remove the original ones, which probably would happen.

" Livia, come to us for a second", Miranda said," And you girls can go"

I sighed heavily.

Oh no ... What now? Girls throwed me a curious look. Lena made a characteristic gesture, 'I have my eyes on you,'  and then they went out of the room.

The door closed. I picked up the shoes and walked slowly toward Miranda. I completely ignoring Sheridan, who was standing next to her.

"Yes?" I asked.

I was afraid of what she would tell me.

"You're Italian, aren't you? You know Italian?" She asked.

I nodded my head slowly. I didn't like where this conversation was heading.

"I'd like to explore Rome. You will show me the city," Sheridan added, speaking to me for the first time. His voice suggested that he had no doubt that I would do exactly what he wanted.

I opened my eyes wide. Being a tour guide for this guy was the last thing I wanted to do in my spare time. And it's certainly not for free. At that moment I just wanted to take a quick, cold shower and fall on the bed for a short nap to begin to regenerate before the next workout. I was exhausted, and walking around the city in the heat wasn't tempting to me. Maybe I was an Italian, but I had grown up in the United States. I was not accustomed to such a climate, and my tolerance to high temperature was limited. Especially when I was tired.

"It's not the best idea. I haven't been in Rome for two years. I don't know the city that well. Maybe you'd better hire a real guide "I said, trying to sound cheerful.

I was well aware that Sheridan could fire me. I didn't want that to happen. Everyone can be replaced, but I knew my value as a dancer, and I knew that I was good at what I did. I was not going to let some spoiled guy fired me only because of his whim. It would make my at resume look damn bad.

James waved his hand dismissively.

"But I don't want a guide. I want someone I can trust. You. Don't worry, I'll pay you."

I frowned slightly at this revelation. I was someone to trust? Interesting. If he hired an ordinary guide, and generously paid him, he would certainly not go to the media and paparazzi to tell them where and when the famous James Sheridan would be. It would be stupid. Not very many people would hire that tour guide. For this reason, I was not at all convinced by Sheridan's reply.

I looked at Miranda with pleading eyes. Only she knew about how badly I hated Sheridan. She shrugged her shoulders helplessly and gave an apologetic smile. And I realized that she, too, had her hands tied. This guy could release the both of us out of mere dissatisfaction, and that would be devastating for my career and Miranda's.

"Well, if you say so," I murmured with an artificial smile. "When do you want to start?"

James combed a hand through his hair and ran a hand over his face as he thought on the question.

"Meet me in the lobby in an hour. I have to tell my bodyguards. Probably two bodyguards will accompany us. Incognito, of course. Don't be late."

Just great. I had to spend the entire afternoon with this idiot and his bodyguards.
"Okay. I'll see you in an hour."

I left, not giving him the possibility to add anything else.
The last thing I saw was a surprised look on James's face. He didn't expect that I would just walk out. He was probably accustomed to girls wanting to be with him as long as they can. Luckily, I didn't belong to his club of admirers.

I dragged my feet with every step. The pain doesn't disappear just like that, and I knew that. I had to take a moment for a massage after a shower. I wanted to walked normally during my tour with Sheridan. And I didn't want to rip off his head if he pissed me off for something. Due to the hellish mixture of heat, leg pain, and the presence of Sheridan, my patience was limited.

That would be the nail in the coffin for my career path. Besides, I didn't want to spend the rest of my life behind bars.