Peridot x Depressed!Reader

Start from the beginning

"I-I saw you here and thought you could do with some company!" She said, her high nasal voice called out.

"You're wasting your time." I mumbled with a mixture of a long sigh. Peridot growled in distraction and began to pull at her hair.

"Why?! Why is it that every time one of us try to talk to you, you push us away!? We. Are. Trying. To. Help!" Peridot managed while causing a fit in the sand.

"It's. None. Of. Your. BUSINESS!(BISMUTH!!!)" I yelled enraged, Peridot's eyes dilating in fear.

"I... " she took a deep breath, clearing her original sentence in mind. "Ok." She said flatly, "I'll go then, if that is what you desire (y/n), I'll go. I understand that the trust and relationships we have is not the same as the others. This concludes my original theory to be correct. You do not feel comfortable around me." Peridot robotically stood up as I watched her walk.

I found my lips moving along with my voice box as if out of my own personal control. "Peridot." I said.

That's all I said, her name. A seven letter word and she froze, turning around uncertainly to see me, our eyes meeting. Her lips trembled before she spoke.

"Yes?" She asked. We went silent for a little while as I planned out what I wanted to say.

"What brings you to the conclusion that I do not feel comfortable around you?" I asked.

"Your human emotions, facial feature, tone of words and actions are all just parts of my hypothesis, you also tell the crystal gems things you dare say to me. For instance, I happen to know you've spoken with them on multiple occasions about what ever it is that bothers you although you are still reluctant towards them- is this due to them not understanding primitive minds like yours?" I felt my jaw drop as Peridot said exactly my thoughts.

I stared at her silently without a single emotion handed out. "Peridot I- I had no idea that you could understand human emotions and thoughts so easily." I gestured for her to return to the spot she was in minutes ago beside me.

She smiled lightly before plopping herself next to me. "Well what can I say? I've been researching a lot about the human mind and emotions and phases. What's the point in living on a planet if you can't understand the dominant species?"  She said matter of factly.

The initial thoughts I had on her human knowledge had turned to bluff. All of it.

And then I found myself opening up to her. It started off small, discussing the things she had read about mental illnesses and such before the conversation was reverted to me.

She looked at me, contemplating whether or not to ask a question she was daring to ask. She smiled lightly and sighed a breath of relief and finally asked me once more the question that was on her mind.

"(Y/n), what's wrong?" Three words was all she said and yet she got her answer.

"I don't know myself exactly." I explained, "I feel useless at times, I have loads of negative thoughts and at times... I'd rather not be alive." Peridot's eyes followed my line of sight to my wrists where the raw cuts were showing.

She frowned instantly at me before hugging me. "They don't understand huh? That's why you don't tell them everything." I nodded quickly as Peridot placed a hand over mine. "Well, I'm here... and I know I'm not as strong as the others nor can I offer much but... I'm here."

I smiled at her as I gripped onto her hand tightly, as if it were what kept me alive. "You deserve to know. If it's anyone it's you." I decided confidently. "I guess... I just..." I suddenly stumbled with my words, losing all thoughts I had and all common sense.

"It's ok." Peridot's voice caught me, pulling me to safety, "take your time, there's no need to rush." I smiled lightly before digging my fingers into the sand

"I... I don't know what's wrong exactly but... I think it had to do with my self values... I don't think I'm special or important to anyone... if I were to slip into the ocean and drown, no one would know and nothing would be affected..." I could feel Peridot tremble beside me.

I doubted she had ever heard of something as dark as what I had just said, nor would she have read about it on the Internet.

And so she hugged me. She seemed to have planned everything she did next because her actions were filled with such confidence and reassurance it seemed staged.

"I'm here for you (y/n)... if you were gone, I'd hate to imagine what my physical state would be. You may think your presence is useless... but it's not! I mean.. at least to me it's not... you're not just some random human being on the planet.. you're a unique entity... you're not like a gem maybe but in my eyes, I see that as a great thing to value."

I clenched my hands into fists as I gritted my teeth. "But that's the thing. I'm not a gem... I'm a useless human-"

"Who said your useless?" Peridot immediately questioned, "You aren't a gem... be proud of the fact that you are a human! There are so many things that humans can do and be... gems are very limited to those things... you're one of the multiverse's greatest creations- a human! And while I used to think that your species was a waste, I see differently now. You're no gem nor will you ever be! You're a human! A perfectly amazing human. A human whom I get to share an afternoon with on a beach with a sunset... a human- one of the most extraordinary beings I have ever met."

My cheeks felt warm and my head was pounding, my red cheeks spreading across my face towards my ears. I could hear my heartbeat in my skull.

"..." no words emptied from my mouth, for once, my brain couldn't form some excuse or random outburst as to why Peridot was  wrong.

It was simply because she wasn't.

It would have been expected of her to say something the average person would say, "you'll get through this, it's just a phase." It's a comment about me- a comment I could easily disregard.

But Peridot- I don't know why I thought and treated her like the average human- because she isn't... she's something else that's way more important to me.

She never once said a comment that was about me in a possible futuristic way. Yes she spoke about me but from her perceptive and the truth.

And that can't be wrong because it's the truth. No matter
how much I argue it's the truth and it's correct. I'll get "over" this "phase"? I don't know if I will or I won't. But I'm a species that has more freedom? I definitely know that that's true...

And I guess Peridot knew that too. That smart Peridot. She knew exactly what I needed to hear. Of course she did- she's Peridot.

And even if there are hundreds of other Peridots on Homeworld, she will always be the first Peridot I've ever met, and that will never change.