(1) Piercings And Royalty Just Don't Mix

Piercings And Royalty Just Don't Mix

“Wake up, Maisha!” A voice called from somewhere. I didn’t reply.

It was the wrong move, because before I could fall back into a deep sleep, I was pushed off the bed.

“What the fudge is wrong with you?” I shouted at my brother who just shrugged in response.

“You weren’t waking up.”

“You didn’t have to push me off my bed!” I shouted again, which made my mother shout at me from downstairs to lower my voice.

“It was that or a jug of water.” He shrugged again before turning around to leave my room. “I’m sure you appreciate this method more.”

“Go die in a ditch somewhere.” I scowled at his back. He just chuckled before leaving and closing the door behind him.

I fell back on the floor and lay there for a few minutes groaning. I hated mornings. I hated that even though I didn’t have to go to school, my brother still felt the need to wake me up as soon as he was awake.

And because I had a job to get to.

Whatever, he was still a jerk.

After a few minutes of feeling sorry for myself, I went to my bathroom and quickly got ready. I put on my favourite black skinny jeans and a lime green top that said “I hate you”.

Yeah, exactly how I felt about anyone who looked at me long enough to read it

I glanced at myself in the mirror and smiled. I loved the bright purple-nearly-pink streaks in my hair. They had nearly given my mother a heart attack, the streaks along with my two new piercings (one on my nose and the other on the top of my right ear), but I was still glad that I had done it.

I changed my nose pin to match with my t-shirt before putting on some black eye-liner. Again, my mother didn’t like the amount of black around my eyes, but I loved it. I didn’t feel like myself without it. And anyways, my mother wouldn’t even recognize me without my eyeliner.

I didn’t.

I put on my black long boots before going down the stairs to the kitchen, where my brother sat stuffing his face with pancakes.

“You’re disgusting.” I told him with a disgusted expression that matched my tone.

“And I ate your share of the pancakes.” He smirked, looking like a chipmunk because of his full mouth.

“Ricky!” My mother gave him a look of disapproval before turning towards me. “Sit down, honey. I’ll make you more.”

“It’s her own fault for being late!” Ricky said with his mouth full, which earned him another disapproving look.

“It’s ok, mum.” I told her. “I’d rather not have breakfast anyways. Just looking at Ricky’s lack of manners while eating is making me want to puke.” I smirked at him while he glared at me.

“Are you sure?” My mother asked with a frown. “Missing breakfast isn’t healthy.”

“I know.” I said while kissing her on her cheek, “I’ll have an early lunch.”

Ricky and I were on our spring break from school and I had gotten a job at the library. They literally paid me for doing nothing. The librarian was an old lady who loved me for some reason. So I just roamed around the library all day, occasionally picking up a book and reading it and then by the end of the week, got paid extra for all the “extra” hours I spent at the library usually sleeping.