"Yeah." I nodded, sighing. "But she doesn't know how much I care about her and that's what bothers me. And then I'm with Brooke who I care about but not as much as Avery and she's with Ashton who's gonna break her heart soon. Everything is a mess and I don't know what to do."

"All you can do is tell the truth." She shrugged.

"That's what I did and she doesn't believe me! I don't want to see her hurt but if she won't listen then what can I do?" I asked.

"Ashton doesn't seem like the type to hurt her."

"But he is, mum. Not physically but he won't treat her how she deserves to be treated. I only want the best for her."

"And you're saying you're what she needs?" She asked.

"I'd like to think so. I don't even feel this way about Brooke and she's the first girl I've ever gotten into a real relationship with." I said.

"I know for a fact Avery cares about you as much as you care about her. Anyone could see it when the two of you were together. But you're both too shy to admit your true feelings and that's why everything is so hard now. If the two of you would be honest with one another, then everyone will be happy with those that make them happy." She said.

She's got a point. Avery and I are both shy people and all we need to do is say what's really on our minds, no matter how scary it is.

"What if she doesn't feel the same way?" I asked.

"Then at least you can say you tried." She smiled.

I nodded. "Thanks, mum, you really helped a lot."

"Anytime, Luke. Now go do your homework, dinner should be ready in an hour." She said, taking the vegetables she had chopped up and dumped them into a pot.

"Okay." I took my chips and drink and left the kitchen.

The only thing holding me back from telling her how I feel is the fear of rejection...and Ashton and Brooke. So okay, maybe there are a few things but the fear of rejection is the biggest reason. I've just gotta suck it up and tell her as soon as possible. Then maybe by some miracle she'll tell me she feels the same way and I can prevent her from getting hurt by Ash.

*Avery's POV*

I can't believe Luke said all that stuff to me about Ash hurting me in the end. Ash cares about me too much and he always tell me this and he's too great a guy to hurt me like that. He promised to care for me and respect me and he's not gonna break it because good people don't break promises. I believe each word Ashton said and I don't see why Luke thinks he's this evil guy that lives just to break girls' hearts.

He may know Ashton better from the outside, but I'm getting to know Ashton from the inside and I know he'd never hurt me like Luke says he will. I know Luke is just being a friend and looking out for me but he needs to know that I can take care of myself. I've been through a lot worse than a broken heart so if by some chance that does happen to me, I'll be okay.

When I got home, I went straight to the kitchen to start on dinner. I had a lot of work to do so the sooner my dad had a plate and beer in his hands, the sooner I'd be able to go off and not be bothered by him.

While I was in the process of making dinner, my phone rang, disrupting my music. I clicked the button on my earphones to answer it.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hey, Avery." Luke's voice said on the other end.

"What do you want, Luke?" I asked in an annoyed tone. I was still upset from what he said earlier and I wanted him to know it.