Chapter 1

Everyone has their stories, right? Their starts to this game. Your game started when you were 7. You moved all over the eastern side of America, this time to the country, southern Indiana. It was you and your mother.

"New town, new life." Your mother commented her h/c hair flipping back in the wind. She had her right hand on the wheel and the left out the window. She almost seemed like she hadn't had a care in the world. You stared solemnly down at your tablet.

We won't escape our past, mom... He'll always be a memory.. You thought. Your father would always be known as a drunk, and you the drunk's daughter. You would always remember what he did in the dark. But instead of grimacing, you put on a smile.

"I'm excited to see what the house is like." You slightly tilted your head up from your tablet screen. Your mom grinned widely, a small sadness in her eyes.

"I think you'll love it... I just hate to rip you away from your friends.." Your mom moved her other hand to the wheel and gently touched your cheek. You smiled, fully looking up at her.

"What friends?" You giggled, "I don't care.. I didn't have many friends, plus it's good to start over." You insisted, trying to make an argument. Your mother nodded and turned back to the road, pulling into a narrow drive in. You looked around in awe; the grass and trees were green, the sky was an alive blue color, and the air was so peaceful. You stuck your head out the window and took a big breath in, a pleasant smile painting your face.

"Welcome home, honey!" Your mother announced as she stopped the car. In front of you was a one story, white house with a few windows. You could tell it was old, but wasn't bad, pretty even. You opened your door and slid out, analyzing the house and yard. You tilted your head and went behind the house. There was a small stone path leading you right to a fish pond. A 10 feet behind that were a row a trees, woodlands. You smiled to yourself went back to your mother, hugging her.

"The yard is beautiful!" You giggled, letting her go. You and her both grabbed boxes and began carrying them inside.

A few hours later you had boxes unpacked, your clothes in your closet, and your bed made. You walked to the window, eyeing it curiously before pinning a blanket over it. You sighed quietly, walking over and flopping back on your bed. Your eyes slowly closed before your mother called you down for dinner. You groaned, sitting back up.

"Coming mom!" You called out, sliding out of your bed. When you got to the front room your mother stood in the door way, a man and woman beside her. You tilted your head, looking between them. Your mother looked to the woman.

"She's just a girl... Please... Don't hurt her." Your mother begged quietly. The male turned his head ever so slowly to her. Before you two could flinch he was on your mother, his hand on her chin. With a sickening crack he snapped her head to the side, breaking her neck. He dropped her lifeless body with a thud. You quickly ran to her, tears streaming down your young face. The one person you loved had been murdered in front of your very eyes, your heart shattered. With the pain in your chest you took a swing at the man who simply waved his hand and sent you back into the opposite wall. You struggled to move but it felt as if you were being crushed. He smiled and tilted his head, this was fun to him. You gasped out as he started to close his hand, his eyes flicking black. Suddenly the woman next to him grabbed his arm, whispering something. He put his hand down, letting you fall to the ground. You coughed and trembled as they walked closer, their steps slow. Your eyes flickered to your mother before they closed tightly, ready for your inevitable end.

"Hey!" A male voice yelled out. Your eyes shot open as a man stood in the doorway. He wore a navy blue jacket and black jeans. His hair was a mess and stuck out everywhere. He had combat boots up to his legs along with knives on a belt. Your attackers halted and spun around as the man took out a water gun, spraying the two with what appeared to be just normal water. The two screamed in pain as smoke rolled of their skin.

"Kid, my car is outside.. Go sit in the backseat until I come out." He ordered. You nodded and slowly stood up, your legs trembling under you. You shakily ran outside and saw a ford explorer. You opened the door and jumped in the back, closing your eyes and beginning to cry.

A half an hour later the door opened and the man sat next to you. He gently pet your hair.

"Are you a police man?" You asked, your voice weak. He shook his head.

"No, I'm a hunter... A super hero who saves little kids from monsters." He explained, a light smile on his face.

"Like the one that... Hurt mom?" You cried. He gently scooped you up into his lap.

"Hey... I know you're scared... But can you tell me what happened?" He asked, his voice was gentle and comforting. You grabbed him and began crying into his chest. You shakily explained what had happened that day, trembling as he held you like you were his own child. After you finished he took your chin gently, making you look up at him.

"I know it's a big thing to ask, but... Do you wanna become a hunter like me?... To save other little girls and their mommies from monsters?" He asked, his bluish/grey eyes pleading. You nodded slightly, you knew you shouldn't trust strangers, but something about him told you that you'd be safe. With that he buckled you in and sat up front. He started the car and pulled away from the house.

"Now... This means you have to listen to me... I'm going to raise you the way I was. To hunt monsters and save people... I'm Matthew, by the way." He introduced.

"(Y/N)." You replied.