Time is Money| 46

I stood in front of the large building with a heightened sense of nervousness. I wasn't sure what to expect when I walked in there. Today was my day off but Sebastian called and asked me to come. It sounded rather urgent. More than likely it was nothing to worry about.

I greeted fellow employees as I passed them on the way up. It seemed like a regular Friday afternoon. I knocked on Sebastian's door and heard an instant 'come in'.  I pushed the door open and stuck my head in first before coming all the way inside.

Sebastian was sitting at his desk as a woman with long dark hair sat in the chair in front of his desk. I wasn't sure what they were talking about, but I figured it was business-related. I didn't want to interrupt so I quietly came further inside and sat on the couch to wait for him to finish.

I wasn't waiting long. A few minutes later he and the woman stood and shook hands and he waved me over. "Nyla this is Selena. She'll be your new assistant."

Through my confusion, I shook Selena's hand. "My assistant?"

"Yes." He smiled. I stood beside him as Selena smiled at us. Just as Sebastian went to wrap his arm around my waist I moved aside and addressed Selena again. "Selena, can you give us a minute please?"

"Of course, Ms. Carter." She said politely. After she left I turned to Sebastian. Before I could say anything he gave me a short kiss. "You got here rather quickly. Were you already in the neighborhood?" He asked as he pulled me closer.

"Yes actually. I was kinda job hunting."

"J-job hunting?! You don't need to job hunt." He said dramatically. "Eh you're right. I still have a job with my name on it at Javier's."

"No. You already have a job."

"I'm not going to work with you and be with you. I'm pretty sure I told you this yesterday. I also told you that I'd be looking for a new job." I said. "Ohh you did. Well, that won't be necessary."

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Yes." He nodded eagerly and guided me to the couch. "I don't see it as necessary for you to quit. Am I not paying you well enough? I can give you a raise." He offered.

"No this isn't about how well you pay me. I just don't think we should work together and be romantically involved. My past situations have taught me that." I sighed. "I just don't want to end up in a similar situation. I can find a new job, I got a couple of interviews lined up already."

"But Nyla you don't need to quit. We can keep this strictly business at work."

"I don't know, just let me think about it. At least you'll have an assistant already lined up if I do quit." I smiled. "I love how you always see the bright side of things." He sighed.

"Not always."

:::

After staying at the office for an hour showing Selena around, I was finally on my way home. I still can't believe that he hired an assistant for me, his assistant. As he claims, she's here to help me since I'll be doing more work with him rather than for him. I was basically becoming a glorified assistant and Selena was there to help. 

For some reason, it didn't quite feel right though. I just hoped he hadn't done this because we were now pursuing a relationship. If so that just proves why we shouldn't work together. I don't want him to treat me any differently at work. I damn sure don't want anyone to notice that.

As I walked up to my apartment I took notice in a big box sitting in front of my door. I wasn't expecting anything and usually, all packages are delivered downstairs. I hummed a little as I unlocked the door. "Hey, Nyla." I heard from a distance. I turned to find Nick standing at his door a little down the hall. "Hey, Nick. How are you? How are the kids?"

"We're all fine. How are you?" He smiled.

"Feeling pretty good."

"That's great. Hey, do you wanna join us for dinner Maybe? I got a little too much Liberian food for the three of us." He chuckled. "I'd love to. Let me just get myself situated and I'll be right over."

I pushed the box into my apartment and quickly went to take a shower and put on some pajamas. After I was dressed I went to open up my package. I grabbed my keys and cut the tape so I could get the box open. I wasn't sure what to expect so I didn't have my hopes up for it to be anything exciting.

I pulled out the brown packing paper from the box to reveal an hourglass filled with black sand. I furrowed my brows in confusion as I pulled it from the box. I turned it around and found a note stuck to the other end.

The note read, 'Time is money and it always runs out. When will yours?. -778.'

I assumed the strange package was meant for someone else and put it back in the box it came in. I put the box in the closet by the front door and tried to push the thought of it to the back of my mind as I went over to Nick's apartment.