Ace sighed, "None of them want Diane to enter those gates. At least a dozen are determined to try and kill her on sight. We know that at least one of them has a rifle."

I heard Dave inhale in shock. I didn't blame him, I was also stunned. Dave was at a loss for words, "Why? She has never harmed anyone and that scar of hers is obviously old."

Ace sounded tired, "They are scared and not thinking straight. Believe me, we have tried to bring reason into it, but they just ignore us. They have their minds wrapped around this idea like a dog holds onto a good meaty bone."

Dave sounded irritated, "If she was infected, even with a mutant strain, she would have turned by now and her eyes are obviously blue, not red."

Ace chuckled weakly, "They are convinced that she is an immune carrier. Besides, her eyes used to be brown. I am not sure if you noticed on your trip, but her eyes can actually glow in the dark. Something obviously changed. But I agree with you, she isn't a danger to us. I am just as upset with the idiots inside the fence."

Both Dave and Ace fell silent. I almost dozed off before I heard the clip clop of horses' hooves. I was so tired, but my worry helped me to wake up. Ace's quiet voice broke the silence, "Looks like you found them. Not that I am too surprised. Did they bring you up to speed?"

Diane's voice responded, "Yes, they told me what is going on both inside the fence and out."

I heard another man's voice, "There is a group in the Fort that is convinced that Diane is carrying a mutation of the zombie virus. Some people plan to kill her the second they see her. Others are also scared that you and your group are now infected and are threatening to shoot at you if you pass the fence line.

"This group of rioters makes up half of the population, although none of them are in the Foragers, Guards, and Raiders. Once Diane has been gone for at least three months, and your group shows no signs of changes, they are willing to let you back into the fence. There are two people who have already said that they are going to accompany you to ensure that she does not make contact with your group."

Dave had obviously been mulling Ace's earlier words over. His shock had turned to righteous anger, but news that two of those people planned to babysit Dave's group was a new insult, "What madness is this?!"

Ace responded, "Madness fueled by fear and lack of rational thought, pure and simple. We have tried to bring rationality into it and calm the fear, but nothing we do is working. At the moment they are like a single-minded mob with each one feeding the others fears and emotions."

I heard Diane sigh, "So much for my absence cooling things down."

Matthew chuckled weakly at Diane's attempt at humor. Diane continued and her voice was stronger, "Well, it is clear that I can't really go back. No matter what we try to do someone is going to try and kill me sooner or later."

I held my breath as silence reigned below at her statement. I saw a shooting star zip overhead, quickly followed by two more. I could only think of one thing, don't let me be separated from Diane. Another star shot across the sky.

The Base Commander spoke slowly in his deep voice, "What are your thoughts on this? We are prepared to support you as best we can considering the circumstances."

"I was wondering if this would happen even before I joined Dave's group. After what I was told on the walk over here, it is clear that I can't really stay at this fort, even in the treehouses."

What had Diane been told? I kind of wished I had heard that conversation. The Base Commander's voice was calm despite the insane situation, "Where do you plan to go?"