Family

Shiro groaned as he woke. He rubbed his face and sighed softly. "I actually slept..." He muttered, staring up at the ceiling. He raised a brow at the blue prints and scribled notes.

Shiro looked over as he felt something nuzzle closer into his side and wrap more tightly around his flesh arm. He chuckled and shook his head.

Katie was fast asleep, face stuffed into his bicep with her arms holding his arm tightly to herself and her leg tossed over his lower abdomen.

The black paladin hummed. Should I wake her? What time is it? He sighed, rolling his head the other way. Shiro reached over and opened Katie's laptop to check the time. Six in the morning. Definitely not time to wake her up.

Carefully, Shiro began to nudge her off while keeping her asleep.

Katie whined softly, clutching tightly to his arm as he tried to wriggle out of her bed.

Suddenly, Katie gasped and shot straight up. "Matt!" She cried, clutching her chest.

Shiro grabbed her shoulders. "Katie?"

She jolted and looked up at him with wide eyes. Katie gulped and tried to calm herself down. Tears built in her eyes and she sobbed softly. Shiro sat back on the edge of the bed and gently pulled her closer. Katie nestled into his side, gripping his shirt as she cried quietly.

Shiro squeezed her close and rubbed her side. "Katie... Katie, what happened?"

"Matt..." She whimpered, tucking her face in his chest. "He... He was dead.... We found him and he was dead..."

A nightmare Shiro knew all too well.

He leaned down and pressed his lips into her hair. "Katie, we're going to find him and I promise he'll be alive." Katie nodded, tightening her grip on him. Shiro exhaling loudly and burying his nose in her messy hair. "You should go back to sleep. It's still early."

Katie nodded and gulped, rubbing at her cheeks. Shiro gently lay her back down and pulled the blanket up to her shoulders. "Will you stay?" She murmured, closing her eyes. "Just until I fall asleep?"

"Yeah." Shiro reached over and carded his fingers through her hair. "I'll stay. Just for a little bit."

She nodded, breathing deeply to calm herself. Slowly, Katie relaxed and her breathing slowed to a soft, steady pace.

Once Shiro was sure she was asleep, her brushed her bangs out of her face and leaned down to press a soft kiss to her forehead. Katie hummed in her sleep, but was undisturbed otherwise.

Shiro sighed and stood, then left the room as quietly as he could.

~

Katie dragged herself into the dining room, yawning and rubbing her eyes.

Shiro chuckled and watched as she sat beside him. "Sleep well?"

She grumbled a response, folding her arms over the table and resting her head on them. "I don't wanna wake up."

The black paladin pat her back and pushed her plate of food goo in front of her. "Come on. Eat."

"Don't wanna."

"Pidge, you have to eat."

"I'm sleeping."

"No you're not."

"I'm trying to sleeping."

"Pidge, that sentence isn't correct."

"Shush hush." Katie waved a hand at him. "I'm trying to sleeping."

Shiro sighed and shook his head, but smiled. "Alright, alright. Just make sure you'll be awake enough for training later."

Katie groaned loudly, her shoulders slumping. "Quiznak!"

~

Katie raised her shield as she yawned, crouching down to block and evade the blasts from the hovering drones. "I'm so tired." She grumbled, shifting her shield so a blast wouldn't pass through.

Lance snickered. "What were you so busy doing last night?"

"Your mom."

Lance jolted while Hunk burst out laughing. Since both paladin's guards were down, both were shot and fell through the floor. Katie shuffled back until her shoulder pressed into Shiro's back and her arm rubbed Keith's.

Shiro sighed. "Was that comment necessary?" He asked as he raised his shield above his head.

"Yes." Both Keith and Katie answered. Shiro shook his head.

~

Shiro sighed as he walked into Green's hangar. Pidge typed away on her laptop, searching through collected Galra data.

Katie groaned, dropping her head on her table. "Damnit."

"Pidge." She rolled her head and looked up at him. "It's midnight, Pidge. You should be in bed."

The green paladin sighed sitting up. "Yeah, I know. I'm just... Looking for clues or whereabouts."

"For your father and brother." Shiro added, taking her arm to pull her to her feet. "I know that this late is the only free time you have, so you should spend it resting. I don't think either your father or your brother will appreciate you losing your sleep over them. I know you want to find them, I know you want them safe at home, but you need to sleep."

Katie whined as he led her out of the hangar. "Shiro, I'm so close! I can practically grab them!" Shiro hummed as the doors shut behind them. "I just want to know they're safe. I wanna know that they're okay." Katie huffed and gripped his arm. "I don't care what they think of my lack of sleep. I just want them back."

"I know." Shiro whispered, leading her to her room. "Do you want me to stay again?" Katie nodded. "Alright. Get your sleepwear on and I'll go get mine."

The green paladin groaned as her door slid shut. "Who says that!? 'Sleepwear?' Really?"