I'm Sorry

-----------------------------------------------------------

Layla POV

-----------------------------------------------------------

*flashback*

Mandi knocks on Charles's door and stands back to wait. I am so nervous that I am almost hiding behind her. Wow. I know that Charles would never hurt me. Even.... even on that night, he didn't raise a finger towards me.

We hear a muffled voice from behind the door.

"Who is it?"

"Auntie Mandi, " Mandi replies.

"Do I know you?"

"Yes. You do."

"Is it safe to let you in?"

"Yes." Mandi rolls her eyes.

"Ok." The door opens. All three kids stand there. They launch themselves at me.

"Mommy!" Zach shouts.

"Mom, I missed you!" Vic screams.

"When are you going to move back in?" asks Xavier.

"I missed you too, and I don't know." I laugh as they continue to hug me.

I gravitate to inside the house while the kids hug Mandi and walk to her car. She is taking care of them for the day. I plan to talk to Charles. I need him to understand.

I can't lose him.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Charles POV

-----------------------------------------------------------

I hear the kids talking and screaming as Mandi shows up. Layla wants to talk to me. I don't know why. She showed me her feelings by fucking another guy.

The kids leave. I'm alone with my wife.

Ex-wife.

Whatever.

"You wanted to talk."

"Yes. Uh, um. Well, I-I," she clears her throat, "I don't want a divorce."

"Really? Because I told you when I married you that I didn't intend to share you with another man."

"I didn't cheat on you!"

"Layla. Don't lie."

"Why can't you believe me? Huh? I love you!"

"You have a funny way of showing it."

"Charles. I love you. I never stopped for one second. I don't know what happened that night."

"You fucking cheated on me, that's what happened!"

"B-but, b-but," She steps closer.

What is she doing?

Layla has this determined look on her face. She pulls her body flush to mine and kisses me.

I love this woman.

So much.

I can see it. Now, I can. I can forgive her. Things could go back to normal. We could be a loving couple, with our kids, and nothing has to change.

As soon as I think it, I know that it can't happen. Won't happen.

How can I ever trust her again?

I always knew it. That she would break my heart.

It's like I've always known. To love is to destroy, and to be loved is to be the one destroyed.

I push Layla away from me.

We're both breathless.

"You need to leave." I say, coldy.

"Charles." she pleads.

"No, Layla. Leave. I'll mail you the divorce papers. Have Mandi bring the kids to your house for a couple days. Just because we're done, I'm not going  to keep Zach, Vic, and Xavier away from Layla.

After what she did to me, after what I saw, I still love her.

Joint-custody is the least I can do.

I'll even have an excuse to see her every so often.

*end flashback*

-----------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys. I know this chapter is short, but I just wanted to write something.  Let me know what you think. What are you so far? Team Charles, or Team Zeke? Personally, I am thinking Zeke, but we will see😄!

Laters,
-KS