3 Years Later

Layla POV

"I don't know!" I scream, sobbing. "I just don't know!"

The dream startles me awake. I begin breathing heavily as I tell myself, just a dream, it was just a dream.

Even after three years, I still get nightmares about the night that ruined my realtionship with most of my family, my marriage, and put severe damage on my reputation with my kids.

Xavier is now 10 years old. He looks more and more like his dad everyday, with his hair and his deep blue eyes.

Veronica, or Nic, as she now prefers to be called, is 9, and as inquisitive as ever.

Zach, my baby Zach, is now five years old. I can't believe how much he has grown. He will be starting school soon.

I only get to see my kids a few times a month. That is mostly my fault.

After the divorce,  the only thing I could think about was getting away.  We were living in Minnesota.  Now, I live in Florida. During the winter, I was flying up to Minnesota as often as I could, but, during the summer, the kids have been flying down to be with me for the first month, then Charles comes down for the second month, and they stay for the third month. They fly down today. The plane arrives in a few hours.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles POV

As the plane begins to decend, I check on the kids. Xavier and Nic are sleeping, while Zach babbles to himself on the seat next to me, waiting to go see Mommy.

I can't believe it. After she cheated on me, I couldn't be married to her anymore, but she didn't have to move. The kid's lives had been uprooted enough without her moving to the other side of the country.

As we get into the terminal, I see the sign. She sent a driver for us, with a sign that has our names on it. As the kids and I get to the man, she walks up.

Still the most beautiful woman in the world, Layla, my ex-wife, bends down and gives higs and kisses to the kids. Finally, she stands up, and I expect her to try to hug me. That is what she has done everytime since the divorce. For awhile, she even tried to kiss me, and as much as I wanted to kiss her back, I couldn't. But, this time, she just stares up at me and whispers, "Hi, Charles. How have you been?"

"Uh, good. Good. Um, and you?"

"I'm ok." she whispers.

"That's, uh, good, I guess. Well, kids, I have a flight home to catch. I will see you in a few weeks."

The kids hug and kiss me and walk away with their mother. I'm hit with a pang of sadness as I remember what things used to be like, and how, throughout everything, I still love that woman. So much.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Xavier POV

When we get back to Mom's house, Nic, Zach, and I all run to our rooms with our suitcases. Mom has a big house, with three whole floors. The second floor has all the bedrooms, a bathroom, and a family room. When I get to my room, I put my stuff away and go find Mom.

She is in her office on the phone.

"Hey, Zeke! Are you busy?" She notices me and smiles.

"Ok. Well, I have some very important guests for the next few months that I'd like you to meet."

"Great! I'll see you in a bit!"

Nic walks in just as Mom hangs up the phone.

"Who was that?" She asks.

"Nic! That's none of your business!" I scold.

She sticks her tongue out at me.

"Xavier, it's ok. That was Zeke, a friend of mine. He is coming over to meet you. "

"Ok." Nic and I reply, but it's not. Mom has a happy smile on her face, and I know what it's from. I glance at Nic, and I know that we're on the same page. It's the look Auntie Mandi has when ever she gets a new boyfriend. Mom can't have a boyfriend. We have a plan to get her back together with Dad. If she has a boyfriend, it won't work. This is bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Zeke POV

I get off the phone with Layla as I'm leaving work. I decide to stop for some pizza on the way home, as she told me all about her kids, so I know what to order.

I have to say, I'm pretty excited to be meeting Layla's kids. So far, all I've gotten is photos and names and information. Layla met my sons, Eric and James, a while ago. We hope to introduce our kids when my sons come home from college in a few weeks.

I'm also nervous though. I mean, I want her kids to like me. Layla and I have been dating for about a year now, and I know that if her kids dislike me, we will be over.  It was the same way with my kids.

When I pull into the driveway at our house, I'm greeted by three children.

One is bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet. He must be Zach, the youngest. The girl is sitting on the ground, playing with Darwin, the dog. Veronica, or Nic, as I'm told she prefers. The eldest boy is staring at me up I exit my car. Xavier. Layla said this is the one I have to impress. If he likes me, the others will follow suit.

At least, that's what Layla told me.

I hope it works.