Doorstep

Margaret had known Beca and Chloe since the day the couple moved in. Chloe was very outgoing and Margaret loved that about her. Beca was shy and closed off but Chloe brought out the best in her. They were adorable together and Margaret could tell they loved each other very much.

Margaret had a daughter of her own. When Rose graduated high school, Margaret decided to move to a smaller house. She said goodbye to the kind Beca and Chloe before leaving for good. One thing always confused Margaret; why didn't Beca and Chloe have a child? She decided that last day to ask them.

"I'm going to miss you ladies." She said to them. Beca smiled a little and Chloe pouted.

"I don't want you to leave." Chloe said. "You're such a great neighbor."

"I have to leave. Before I go I have a very random question to ask."

"Sure, what is it."

"Why don't you girls have a kiddo?" Margaret asked. Beca froze in shock and Chloe looked at her wife with sad eyes.

"Um." Chloe began. "Beca was pregnant, but there were a few complications and we lost the baby. I can't have a baby because of the medication I'm on." Beca was silently crying next to Chloe.

Margaret gave them a sympathetic look and hugged Beca tightly. "It's going to be okay, sweetheart." She whispered.

Beca sniffled a little bit and nodded.

"I'm going to miss you." Margaret said and left.

One day, Rose came home to visit with news. She was pregnant.

"Mom, I'm going to have a baby." She told her mother and smiled.

"Really?" Her mother asked.

"Yes." Rose said. They both celebrated and talked about names.

The day had come and the baby was born as healthy as could be, but Rose wasn't well. Do to complications, Rose died that night and the baby lay in her grandmother's arms unaware of everything.

Margaret cried at the loss of her daughter. She couldn't take care of the baby now. She looked too much like Rose. She knew just what to do. She was going to give the baby to Beca and Chloe.

Margaret took the baby home, decided to let Beca and Chloe name her, and wrapped the baby in blankets. She placed the baby in a box and gently put the box on Beca and Chloe's front porch with a note that read:

"Dear Beca and Chloe,
Rose had a baby, but sadly didn't make it. You two deserve her more than I do. She deserves good mothers like you as well. Please take good care of her and name her yourselves.
Thank you,
Margaret"

Margaret rang the doorbell and ran. It was past midnight, so they probably weren't up, but Margaret hid in the bushes to watch their reaction if they were.

-----

"Oh Chloe." Beca said as Chloe kissed down her neck.

Ding dong

Chloe froze.

"Chlo, keep going." Beca said. "You can get it later."

"It might be important." Chloe said and put on her robe. Beca followed, in her robe as well, down the stairs and to the door. Chloe opened it and saw the box.

"What's this?" Chloe asked herself.

Beca appeared behind Chloe. Chloe read the note aloud and put her hand over her mouth in shock. She slowly knelt down next to the box and carefully opened it. Inside was a quietly sleeping baby girl.

"Oh my God." Beca said and knelt next to Chloe.

Margaret watched as the Chloe removed the baby from the box and cradled her in her arms.

Beca helped Chloe up and inside while carrying the box. Before going inside, however, she looked around and spotted Margaret.

"Thank you." She mouthed to the old woman. Margaret smiled slightly at the brunette who was all smiles. She had never seen Beca smile like that before. Beca wore that smile for the rest of her life.

~~~~~~~~