Moms

My moms are weird. Mom works mostly all day on her laptop with her headphones on her head, while Mommy drives with me to school and teaches the older kids.

One day, Mommy was driving me home and all of a sudden, it went black. I don't remember why or how, but I remember Mommy yelling "Paige!" Right before I couldn't hear her anymore.

Out of nowhere, I heard Mom. She was crying. Why was Mom crying?

"Chloe, Baby." She said. Was Mommy here too? Where were they? Why couldn't I see them? "It's going to be okay. Paige is right next to you, okay? When you guys wake up, I'm going to be right here."

Mommy was next to me? I tried to reach over, but I couldn't move my body.

Weeks passed and Mom would come talk to us. She would tell me how Mommy was doing and tell Mommy how I was doing.

"Beca." Mommy said from next to me. Mommy was awake! Mommy was okay! I was so happy to hear her voice, even if she couldn't hear mine.

"Chloe! You're awake! You're okay!" Mom cried.

"My baby!" Mommy said. "My baby." She repeated, softer this time and she sounded like she was going to cry.

"She's going to be okay." Mom said.

"I hope so." Mommy said. "This is all my fault."

"No it's not." Mom said. "Don't blame yourself."

"It was though, I didn't look. It's all my fault. I'm sorry I put you through this. You must've been so lonely."

"It's okay. Relax." Mom said.

Days went bye and Mommy would cuddle me while she slept and I loved that she was there with me.

"Hey, Paige." She whispered. "I'm really sorry. If I could go back in time and just looked both ways, I would in a heartbeat. We wouldn't be here and you would be happy. I love you so much. Please pull through for Mom and I. Please."

I wanted to wake up and kiss her and Mom, but I couldn't. I couldn't even move my toes! I wanted to tell her how much I loved her, so I tried. "I love you." I tried to say, but it ended up sounding like a groan. I tried so hard but I couldn't do it.

"What did you say, Sweetie?" Mommy whispered. "Did you try to talk?"

"I love you." I tried again. "I love you." Again. "I love you." And again. Then I felt it. I moved my toes! Then my feet, then my fingers and my hands and my eyelids and then I saw her! I saw Mommy's eyes, staring right into mine! "I love you." I said.

"I love you, too." Mommy said. "I'm sorry."

I didn't say anything, but hugged her tight.

"Ow! Okay, let go!" She yelled.

"Oh. I'm sorry." I said.

"It's okay." She said. "I'm just a little beaten up."

I felt a sharp pain in my head.

"Mommy!" I yelled. "Mommy make it stop!"

She pulled me close to her chest. "Calm down." She whispered. "It's all going to be okay."

She was right. It was all okay.

~~~~~~~~~~