Happily Ever After and Beyond

Start from the beginning

“And you lot don't?” she asked smiling at her best friends, It had been Makoto’s idea this time. She and Yashiro were still going strong and now they too were engaged to be married and she would be making up Kyoko’s fifth bridesmaid. The dresses her friends wore were a deep rose red. Each dress was made for the woman wearing it, they fit to perfection and looked simply stunning.

Kanae stepped forwards and held out a small box to Kyoko. Her dress was ankle length, had a sweetheart neckline held up by inch width straps, with a drawn empire waist that flowed down  in waves of soft lace. She looked beautiful like Kyoko’s first rose. Taking the box from Kanae she looked at her curiously.

“Moko?” she asked as Kanae blushed a little.

“It’s a tradition in western style weddings: something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.”

Julie nodded as Kanae repeated the rhyme she had learnt, before Makoto added the last bit,

“And a silver sickle in your shoe.”

Kyoko smiled as Makoto took up her position with the other bridesmaids. Looking between them all Kyoko looked down at the box and slowly flipped open the lid. Inside rested a beautiful set of pearl earrings.

“They were my grandmother's. I would be honoured if you would wear them for your something borrowed.” Kyoko didn’t trust herself to talk as she fought away the tears that were trying to flow.

Kanae knew just how much this meant to her best friend and just hugged her softly. Kyoko gently placed them in her ears. Chiori stepped forwards next smiling as she handed Kyoko something wrapped in tissue paper. The twinkle in her eyes made Kyoko worry a little as she pulled open the paper revealing a blue garter strap.

“Chiori?” she asked wondering what the item was as Chiori giggled.

“Well that's another western tradition.” she said barely containing her laughter as all of the women in the tent also tried not to laugh at the look of utter confusion on Kyoko’s face.

“You’ll understand later.” Chiori told her as Kyoko smiled and thanked her. Chiori’s dress was another simple design. The knee length red satin dress had a v-cut neck with no sleeves, a ruffle wrapped waist and a single rose as decoration on her chest. Kyoko thought It suited her wonderfully as she stepped back into line.

Hotaru stepped forwards next and she also handed Kyoko a box. Her dress was the shortest of the dresses that Julie had made for the bridesmaids. Yet it was perfect for her. The A-line dress with the straight cut neckline and thin straps made the woman only more beautiful showing off her dancer's body and legs.

Kyoko again opened the box revealing a beautiful charm bracelet. She could tell it was really old before she even touched it as she fingered each and every charm. They were made up of flowers, fairies and butterflies and Kyoko knew that she was trying to win a losing battle as she tried not to cry.

“This was supposedly made in the 1900’s as a lover's token.” Hotaru said as she pulled the bracelet from the box and carefully secured it around Kyoko’s wrist. “And I just knew as soon as I saw it that it was made for you,” she said stepping back and taking the box with her as she smiled.

Kyoko could hardly breathe the emotions were just so much  As she looked down at the perfect fitting bracelet bracelet she mouthed the words, "Thank you,"  to Hotaru who mouthed back,

"You're welcome."

“Ok my turn then,” Honoka said stepping forward. Her floor length dress showed why she was and always would be a model. It was a straight cut corset topped dress with the only decoration being a  ribbon tied around her waist and bowed at the back. Again another box was handed to Kyoko.