Kuon's Birthday Surprise!

Kuon had been pacing his room for over an hour, checking the clock every now and then as he wondered if it was still too early to be going down to breakfast. He really wanted to go to Kyoko's room and ... well he didn't really want to be thinking about that right now or he would definitely be needing a cold shower. Kuon looked at his watch for what felt like the 100th time and finally decided 8:15 wasn't too early for breakfast. He literally jogged out of his room and down the stairs. He took a few moments to compose himself before striding into the dining room.

"Good morning everyone." Kuon said noting that everyone was already seated at the table, which he thought was odd as his mother and father jumped up. They both squealed before attaching themselves to him and wishing him a happy birthday. He supposed it wasn't so odd. The girls of course would all want to make a good impression on his birthday...Well all of them but the one girl he really wanted to see. Taking his seat between his mother and father he couldn't help but broach the question on his mind.

"Where is Kyoko this morning?" he asked, trying to appear nonchalant as he buttered the croissant he had picked up from the offered plate. It was Lory who answered and Kuon watched his face intently for any sign of a lie that may lay there.

"She apologises but she had a very important conference call this morning that she could not avoid. I'm sure she will be around later." Kuon could not see any traces of worry or lying in Lory's eyes as he nodded sadly. He had really wanted to see Kyoko. He could still feel the tingle on his lips from the kiss the night before. Hell if he was truthfully honest he wanted to wake up every day with her in his arms, he wanted to fall asleep every night holding her...he just wanted her. Lory watched Kuon's face fall slightly at his words, but smiled as Kuon returned the morning greetings and thanked all the girls for their kindness at remembering his birthday.

"So Kuon are you ready for this morning?" Kuu asked smiling brightly at his son. Kuon looked at him confused.

"Ready for what Dad?" he asked as he watched Kuu's face drop. His lips fell in a very sad and lonely way. If he had been standing Kuon would have sworn he would have clasped his hands and kicked small pebbles around with his feet as he took on the most pathetic and downtrodden look he could.

"Well I suppose it's only my own family's tradition. I suppose it doesn't mean that much to you with all these lovely women at your beck and call." Kuu mumbled as Kuon shot a look that said, 'Help Me' to his mother. He needed some clue as to what was wrong with his father.

"Oh Kuu stop having a tantrum. Kuon dear it's a tradition with the Hizuri's that when the heir to the line reaches 20 that his father buys him a watch. Kuu has a pocket watch his father bought him and as we were unable to buy you a watch for your 20th, your father was hoping he would be able to do so today."

Kuon looked from his mother who smiled knowingly at him to his dad who was still muttering under his breath thought quietly now due to Julie's word's taking a deep breath Kuon smiled.

"Dad of course I would love to go with you this morning, it's a tradition after all." It was like lightning had struck the man. Only moments ago he had looked to be on the verge of tears. Now his smile shone like the son as he patted Kuon on the back and jumped into plans for that morning's excursion with Kuon and Lory. Julie nodded to the 3 girls who smiled. Julie had promised to get Kuon out of the mansion and she had prevailed admirably.

Kuon watched the mansion disappear as they moved away down the driveway. He never did get to see Kyoko and he had a sinking feeling maybe she was avoiding him...if only he had known the truth.

"Yes Chef!" Kyoko called as she grabbed one of the icing flowers she had just created and delicately placed it on the final open space. Taking a step back she looked at her work and smiled.