14| Protective Layer

STRANGELY, I FELT more at home in LA than in New York, and that was most likely because Ruby ruined it for me there.

Ruby and I were not talking, and that wasn't because I was mad at her. If she spoke to me first, I'd happily answer her. I still appreciated her because of what she had done for me, but I could tell she did not like me, either as a person or just the fact that I was around a lot.

She had to get to work earlier, so I decided to drive myself in my new car.

I safely reached Roves and managed to park properly after two failed attempts. Once I had entered, I realized that the place was already set up.

I was about to go see Gia as she was the only other girl who seemed to enjoy talking to me. The rest ignored me, the only time speaking to me was to give me orders. I didn't mind that much because it was better than them talking to me hatefully.

She was with Ruby, and I cursed under my breath. I was about to turn the other way but it was too late and Gia had saw me.

"Ellis! How are you?" She asked cheerfully from where she stood at the bar.

I mustered my most polite smile and walked towards her, picking at my black nail polish at the same time.

"I'm fine, you?"

Gia ignored my question and went straight to the next topic. "Ruby was just telling me that you all went to New York together." She said, glancing at Ruby who stared at me with narrowed eyes. I nodded to confirm that it was true. "How did it feel to be back in your home place?"

I felt like a celebrity being interviewed by Jimmy Fallon. "Honestly, I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would." I said truthfully, Ruby's glare sending shivers down my spine. I kept my own eyes on Gia, pretending that Ruby was not there.

I decided that I had enough of the small talk. "Hey, can you tell me where the closest medical clinic is?"

Gia frowned. "Oh, you're not feeling well or something?" She asked with concern.

"Just asking for a friend." I lied, nervously smiling.

"There's one further downtown, it's open 24-hours I'm pretty sure." She pointed in the direction and I mentally took note.

"Thank you."

I was so glad that Ruby didn't say anything, because it had seemed that she enjoyed spilling things, example being during the encounter with Rylan.

I worked the remainder of my shift and everything went well. It was a Monday, so there weren't too many customers and I was starting to get the hang of how everything moved around here.

After I said farewell to Gia, I pulled on my long coat and made sure it covered my entire outfit. There was no way I would walk into the medical clinic looking like this.

I have barely stepped outside when I felt a hand I my elbow. I gasped in shock and swung around, unattached from whoever it was in a split second.

Stupidly, I had thought it was Ethan. Of course, it was just Ruby.

"God, don't do that." I breathed, wrapping my arms around my waist.

"You do realize that you have to wait at least two weeks before you can take a pregnancy test, right?" She said, looking very serious. I grimaced, not knowing that.