6| Company

^GIA^

THE FIRST SHIFT went well, and Reece was right when he said there would not be a lot of customers. There were only two or three at a time, and they were all extremely friendly towards me, but never once made a crude comment. All I had to do was deliver their drinks and clean the tables while Gianna was the one who took the orders.

At first I had felt uncomfortable in my outfit and the heels that caused my toes to ache, but eventually I started forgetting about it and focused on doing my job. Besides, after seeing what the dancers wore, which was barely anything, I knew that I was in the safe zone with my clothes.

The music had been pumping and it was overall an enjoyable experience. We could work and have fun at the same time, which I knew would help make life much more easier. Plus, Reece paid me straight after training, saying that he preferred to pay after every shift instead of once a week.

The other girls weren't that much nicer, in fact they were a whole lotta nasty, especially towards me. I met one of the dancers and she was chill, but I knew inside she was judging me. Gianna made me feel comfortable and I hoped that we could stay alliances from now on.

I was just finishing off wiping a table, everyone around me getting ready to leave. I barely saw Ruby throughout the night, but when I did she would tell me I was doing a great job.

I held the dirty rag in my hand and wandered over to the bar to return it to Ruby. She was wiping down the bench, with Gia leaned over the counter, hand under her chin and watching Ruby with a smirk.

"Thanks." I said as I handed her the moist rag. She threw it in a bucket next to her.

"You were a natural tonight!" Gia exclaimed, sitting up. My ears were still ringing from the music, but it was something I would have to get used to. I prayed that I would not go prematurely deaf. But now that it was completely shut off, I could hear everyone better. Sometimes I found myself screaming over the music at customers, trying to talk to them. They would just scream back, so I knew I was not being rude. It was just how everything ran here.

I checked the time on my phone. It was four in the morning, and then the exhaustion hit me. Ruby looked wide awake, but that was most likely because she slept through the entire day. Besides the time, I also checked my messages. My stomach churned as I read it.

From: Unknown Number
I visited your apartment but you weren't there. The place was completely empty. Where are you? Please call me, you are the love of my life Ellis, and I just want to prove to you that I'm sorry.

I remembered that Rylan never knew that I moved, I mean why would he? We were not together anymore. He did not need to know every detail of my life, big or small.

But unfortunately, I still had feelings for Rylan. How could I not? Seeing him at the beach so often that I ended up going there just to see him, I had always wished that he would notice me. And when he finally did, it was as if dreams did come true. It was hard to throw away my love like that, especially now that he wanted me back.

I had to think about it.

I turned my phone screen off and shoved it inside my bag. When I looked up, I was caught off guard by the sight of Ruby and Gia against each other. Ruby's hand gently touched Gia's cheek as they passionately kissed, and as I shamefully watched I felt a pang of jealousy hit my confused self.