Growing Pains [S1:E2]

Start from the beginning

"Sam, growth is painful," he stated. "But just because it's painful doesn't mean it's not good."

"That's some sage advice," I teased.

"Yeah well, I've had my fair share of pain and growth."

He gave a chuckle but I could see a hint of sadness behind his eyes. I knew Buddy well after working side-by-side with him for a year. I knew he had a rough childhood, like me, but successfully overcame it. And I knew his wife had left him two years ago, which then resulted in this shop being built. He was the epitome of pain and growth.

"When exactly would your last day be?" he asked.

I snapped out of my thoughts. "September twenty-second is when the bar opens."

"Well thanks for giving me a heads up," he said. "I appreciate it, Sam."

Then the phone rang, pulling us back into reality.

Buddy was right. Growth was painful, and letting go of things you've outgrown was a skill that needed practice. And maybe this job was a stepping stone to get me where I was needed.

* * *

I walked into the front door of Jinx 2 and spotted Danna at the bar looking through some paperwork. This was the first day of training for myself and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous.

"Hey boss," I greeted.

She turned her head. "Hey Sam."

I joined her at the bar. "So what's on the agenda today?"

"Well I was thinking we'd start with learning the computers," she advised. "Then we'll go from there."

I scrunched my brow. "We?"

That's when the front door opened again, indicating it wouldn't be just me and Danna today.

She was young, maybe around Megan's age, and stood poised with confidence. I couldn't help but take in her appearance. Her light brown skin was exposed in the tank top she was wearing as her dark curls spilled over her slim shoulders. Dark brown eyes found us and she gave a warm smile.

"Danna, this place looks great," she expressed.

"Right?" Danna agreed. "Sam, meet your new counterpart."

The new girl's gaze met mine as her hand extended. "Nice to meet you, counterpart. It's Jasmine, but everyone just calls me Jas."

"Sam," I repeated.

"I'm really glad you called me about this," Jas confessed. "You don't know how bad I needed a job."

"You two know each other?" I asked.

"I dated her older brother," Danna stated.

"Yeah, I grew up in Baldwin but I moved here for college," Jas revealed. "I just decided to stay after graduation."

I just took in the information.

"Alright," Danna broke the silence. "Let's get to work."

And so we did. We started off with the computers, which I figured would be the hardest part to learn. Once I could successfully navigate that, everything else would be easy. Or so I assumed.

Plus, Jas and I got along well. I learned she had graduated with a marketing degree and a minor in management from Mizzou. She was a fast learner, and I felt confident that come opening day we would make a great team.

And fortunately after a few hours of training and paperwork Megan walked through the door.

"I brought food," she claimed. "Figured you guys would be hungry."