Chapter 4: Rules Don't Apply in the Sky

[Lauren's POV]

"You'll be going on stage in thirty minutes, ladies!" a bodiless voice yelled into the changing room.

I was finishing my makeup in front of the mirror, and as I applied the last touches on mascara I glanced around the place through the reflection.

Dinah was struggling with some technical issues with her costume, and had about four people around her trying to fix it for her. Ally was doing some vocal exercises and Normani was talking to her mom on the phone about something. The atmosphere in here was agitated and electric, just like before any other performance.

Even after four years doing this we still get a mixture of excitement and fear in our stomachs before every show — I could feel the adrenaline running through my veins. I needed to distract myself so I wouldn't get anxious, and engaging conversation usually helped.

My eyes landed on the young Latina sitting by the sofa, her calm demeanor standing out in that unquiet environment. She was mindlessly scrolling on her phone.

Tumblr, probably, I thought as I approached her.

"Where's your mom?" I asked, noticing the woman's absence, as I sat next to her.

Camila looked up from her phone, raising her eyebrows.

"She stayed in the bus, she said she wasn't feeling well... Why?" She seemed a little surprised that I was there talking to her, after all, that didn't happen very often.

About two weeks had passed since we had fucked each other's brains out in that airplane, and although we hadn't talked about what happened things didn't seem as tense between us as I thought they would be. I was being friendlier to her now behind the cameras, but nothing that people around us would notice – we both still didn't hang out outside work or anything like that. And publicly I still treated her the same as before, which meant barely no glances or touches or interactions whatsoever – basically following the camren protocol.

But now we were backstage, surrounded by only a few reliable members of our team and our other bandmates, so we could allow ourselves a little conversation.

"Oh, it's just that she's always around you, you know." I explained, shrugging. Camila nodded. Sinu was literally everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised if she came on stage with us one of these days. I bet she knows all the routines.

"Why are you suddenly being so nice?" she asked with a cheeky smile.

"I'm always nice," I argued, making her scoff. "I am!"

"Sure, Lauren." She gave me a skeptical look. "Cause you're always talking to me. Queen of interaction."

"I'm improving."

"True, though."

"And it's not like you're ever around, I've barely seen you lately." I added, and I had a point. I almost didn't see her in our free time.

"I've been busy, you know that."

"Yeah, true... You've been hanging out a lot with Ashlee too, you guys hit it off really quick."

I didn't want to sound bitter or jealous, but the more I saw her with our guitarist the more I wished it was actually with us she was spending her time with – like in the old days. I had absolutely nothing against the woman, believe me, but the truth was that I missed Camila's friendship. I know I was one to blame when it came to us drifting apart, especially because of the whole Camren thing. But that didn't make those moments we used to have any less nostalgic.