"We have learned quite a bit as mentors – and as assassins, I believe," Mistress Hilde-Beth said.

"Yes. I am always amazed by what we can learn when our eyes are open, our ears are listening, and our hands are ready to do work," Mistress Athylee agreed. "This debriefing session will be a great help for us to solidify whatever suspicions we may have harboured."

"Now, debriefing sessions often involve an Archives Secretary and a Senior Administrative Assassin," Master Colin continued. "However, you girls will not be required to deliver your report to them personally. You will give your oral report during this meeting and will submit a written report within the week."

"Another writing assignment?" Brittainy grumbled not so quietly.

At the sight of her mentor's disapproving gaze, the young girl subsided.

Master Shermore started. "Let's try to-"

"Stay on target!" the girls finished Master Shermore's usual suggestion.

"Exactly," the tall man took his seat. "We will begin with Emalynn."

Rising to her feet, for the first time in her life, Emalynn felt a wave of nervousness wash over her. It was a shock for the usually courageous girl. Nervousness before a small oral report – in front of them? Emalynn glanced at her classmates. I am not afraid of them! Emalynn frowned and focused instead on the items she had memorized the night before.

"Emalynn Romayan reports on her mission to Karrowyn," Emalynn began the standard phrasing she had read in one of her upper classman's textbooks.

"Speak, Assassin," Master Colin nodded formally, his pen poised over his paper.

He isn't going to be taking actual notes of what I say, Emalynn's anxiety rose a few notches. Master Colin will be probably marking on how well I report my findings.

"I returned to Karrowyn with the mission of double-checking facts as well as attempting to find any missing details regarding the motivations and circumstances of the informant."

"State the informant's name for the record," prompted Master Colin.

"Ulston, Garrett Ulston." Emalynn continued as smoothly as she could. "In our initial reports - the Assassination Request Forms as well as our own questioning during our first trip to Tawyrs – Ulston appeared to be a concerned citizen who was upset by illegal activities within the area. We also knew that Ulston had lost a family member due to an accident caused by drug use." A pause. Master Colin kept his pen moving and did not seem to be stopping, so Emalynn went on. "During my second trip, more information came to light. Well, I suppose that there were some clarifications because we had suspicions and we knew what to look for. Ulston's grandfather was indeed a victim of drug abuse – and Ulston himself, I believe, was a victim of manipulation. When asked about the Sadons, Ulston had nothing but praise for the Lady Matilde. He stated that she attended his grandfather's funeral – and even spoke to him afterwards. Highly suspicious, I think."

"In what way?" asked Master Colin. "It is often common for the Lady of the House to take interest in the affairs of small communities."

"Lady Matilde said that..." Emalynn, noticing that Chrystyna's green eyes were looking a little glazed, decided to make her words simpler. "...that it was too bad that Ulston's grandfather died. She seems to have agreed with Ulston that drugs were terrible and that the drug smuggling was not a good thing. In a way, she said that. I bet she left Ulston with the impression that he ought to speak out."

"She incited Ulston to rat on her own husband," Master Colin's dark eyebrows rose. "Impressive. Did you see any sign of her in Karrowyn?"

"No, but many of the townsfolk talked about her. They feel fond of her."