Chapter 11

Two days after the New Year began, the Academy reconvened, its great door opening in welcome to the students returning from their winter holiday vacation. Clumps of First and Second Year girls chattered over the latest Court gossip, while the older girls discussed at length the rumors that Alzahabad and Bonas (two countries on the South Continent) were once again fomenting against each other. The boys discussed the latest scores in the Capital's curling championships and whether the latest Ironside Mark IV, which the Great Sea Commission had just produced for the military, would be more efficient this time round.[1]

Looking harried and more absent-minded than usual due to last minute preparations, teachers bustled about, black lecture robes flapping and notes and paperwork clutched in hand. Other school staff – cooks, maids, errand boys and serving men – hustled about, trying to maintain order as luggage and packs and sacks and school supplies flooded in. It was a busy beginning to the new year.

Chrystyna, loathing the crowds, fled to the tower room she called home and unpacked her things. As she brought out the socks and the small throw blanket which her mother had crocheted as a gift, the girl smiled over the memories of her holiday. It turned out better than I thought it would, as usual. She smiled. Now there's school to think of – and my upcoming assignment with Master Geoffrey.

At the thought of Master Geoffrey, Chrystyna once again felt an overwhelming sense of confusion. At first she had not recognized it as confusion, but after discussing the matter at length with Brittainy, the girls had come to the conclusion that Master Geoffrey was a man of wonder and puzzlement.

Why does he stand still at random before mirrors? Why does he speak with such a fake accent? Why do his ties always match his socks? Why does he laugh and smile for no good reason? How is his hair always so perfectly styled? Is that what hair is supposed to look like? Is that his real hair color?

So many questions, so little time, Chrystyna shook her head. Perhaps I can make this my secondary mission while we go on our assignment for our primary mission.

Chrystyna loved the words 'primary' and 'secondary', particularly in relation to 'missions' and 'assignments'. When Master Colin had used these words in their short briefing before the group had disbanded for Winter Solstice, Chrystyna had been impressed. The fact that she could now use those words with actual purpose and not for make-believe made her feel rather grown up.

She was unpacked. Her holiday homework was done. Chrystyna considered her options. She could go downstairs or she could double check her homework.

Double-checking homework it is, she quickly decided.

Two weeks later, after all the students had settled into their routines and classes had begun, Master Geoffrey, with a heavy heart, waited at the main entrance for the dark-haired, awkward child he called Apprentice

Two weeks later, after all the students had settled into their routines and classes had begun, Master Geoffrey, with a heavy heart, waited at the main entrance for the dark-haired, awkward child he called Apprentice. The prospect of being alone with said apprentice worried the suave Master-in-Training on many levels. The child is spooky, he shivered in his best black greatcoat. Strange, unexpected... bizarre, odd, and eccentric. Unhygienic, backward, awkward, and old-fashioned as well. How am I to survive two days more or less alone with the girl?