Chapter 13

Emalynn, mentally recounting what she had packed, leaned back in the large padded leather seats of the train coach. Beside her, propped up in the corner by the window, Katrynn was settling down as was her wont when traveling. Sure enough, as the train pulled out the station, slowly at first and then picking up in speed, Emalynn watched Katrynn nod off. No surprise there, Emalynn reminded herself. I'll have to be the one to take guard duty for the entirety of the trip. Not that I have to guard against anything much, but it is still important to be prepared for the unexpected.

Since the two girls were traveling alone without adult supervision beyond that of the conductor and the four train attendants, Emalynn felt more nervous than usual. It is only a short, one-stop ride to Bell Falls, the girl told herself. Then we will have to separate – which won't be an issue for me since I have been to Karrowyn already – and I know Master and Mistress Busby. They were so helpful last time. I am sure they will have been alerted about my current mission.

Emalynn couldn't help but compare her current ride to her last trip with Master Colin. It is much quieter. Other than Katrynn and herself, the carriage held a few other passengers. There were two elderly gentlemen, dressed in black suits and smart top hats, each holding a leather briefcase. Their long beards hung long, styled carefully over neat dark blue cravats and high collars. No doubt they are lawyers or some kind of government workers, Emalynn guessed.

The last passenger in the coach was a homely housewife surrounded by bags and baskets, obviously returning from an extended shopping trip. Her cherry red shawl, pulled around her thick, dark fleece cape-coat, looked cheery among the dreary surroundings of the dim coach. From the housewife's capable hands, a pair of bright blue stockings hung, half-knitted. Emalynn found herself nearly hypnotized by the flash of the metal needles.

Watching the early morning sun rise, lighting the dark winter sky, Emalynn stared dully out of the carriage window. Mile after mile of barren fields passed by. What had once been fields full of wheat and corn and other grains was now covered in a vast white blanket of snow. It was not an encouraging view and rather uninteresting as the hours passed by.

By the time the train slowly ground to a halt before the platform at which they girls had to disembark, the sun was overhead and shone brightly. It was time to seek out the platforms for the second part of their respective journeys. Emalynn was tired, but knowing Katrynn's habit of getting lost, she consulted her careful notes. The directions were simple for her own passage to Karrowyn; Katrynn, on the other hand, had a little more complicated train connection ahead of her.

Poking her sister and then jumping back to avoid Katrynn's reactive leg kick, Emalynn roused her younger sister who sat up, blinked, yawned, and then stretched before standing up. Letting the two gentlemen and the housewife pass, Emalynn handed Katrynn the satchel and knapsack designated for Katrynn before hoisting down her own two sets of baggage.

"I'm hungry," mumbled Katrynn.

"You have your packed lunch in your satchel," Emalynn reminded the younger girl, "and you have a few sovereigns, don't you? Maybe there's a pastry shop on your platform."

"Where is my platform?" Katrynn absently stepped off the last step of the coach while trying to read the minuscule notes she had written. "Platform 4."

"You'll get lost trying to find it, no doubt. You know what happens when you miss your connection! You'll have to stay here all night. I'll take you there myself since you are leaving sooner."

"Alright," Katrynn nodded.

"Follow me," Emalynn said, eyes already raised as she read the signs carefully. "It's a matter of following the signs."