Chapter 33

It was the middle of April and apart from my meeting with Doc I hadn’t left my home. I had told my parents exactly what the Doc had told me but unlike me they were extremely happy, the fact that it wasn’t something they could have prevented and that I wasn’t a serious health risk to wrap in cotton wool really lifted their spirits. I still wasn’t so sure and the desire I had to repeat the process of shifting was about the same desire I had to run around town naked… it just didn’t appeal to me.

 Ty had failed at persuading my mother to let me out for the night all those days ago; apparently a date was too much like fun to merit lifting my grounding for. So since then I had been moping around in my pyjamas, not talking to people, not really eating and not looking after my appearance… I know how spoilt I sound but until you actually have to live through solitary confinement you don’t understand.

As far as my health went my last check-up showed that I was now fully recovered and could go back to living my life just like before, thank goodness for shifter healing abilities, however, after one long night and a heated debate with my parents we had decided that there was no point in me returning to college.

The A-levels exams would take place next month and I had missed too much to catch up now. I’m not a genius but I am also not stupid and as my grades had, up until now, been okay and since I wasn’t going to University and my future career path was be Beta (not something I need a CV for) we decided that the only reason I would be there was to socialise… and that’s one of the things I’m not allowed to do right now anyway. If I was child I would rejoice at the moment I was told that I never had to go back into education, but being older you realise that sitting at home while your friends are learning and chatting and having fun, making memories without you is the worst thing you could be doing. I even missed complaining about having too much work and bitching about my teachers.

I was finally being trusted to stay in the house on my own during the day, however, whenever she is home, my mum’s attempts at lifting my perpetual bad mood came down to two activities 1) baking my favourite cakes (that I now refused to eat) and 2) planning my birthday party which was to take place at the start of June, I didn’t feel like a party but it is a tradition that cannot be broken, what with me coming out to society and all.

The thought is depressing really, by now everyone would know what I am, and I'm not sure whether this would make me a more or less desirable companion for someone to spend the left of their life with. The phrase damaged goods comes to mind.

It was during one of this mind numbing birthday planning sessions, where my mum was pouring over her Filofax writing in dress fittings and I was sat staring at the dining room table contemplating banging my head repeatedly on the thick wood, when the doorbell rang. I cringe as the sound rings through my ears, my hearing was already heightened but since my change it had stepped up a gear and all loud noises were like a thunder storm going off in my head. Immediately I'm up on my feet and winding my way through the house, anything to get me out of that room, the doorbell rings again.

“Ouch! I’m coming, I’m coming keep you tail on!” I shout to the unknown presence on the other side of the door, swinging it open rather impatiently I stop and break out into a huge grin.

“Who is it?” My mum calls from the other room but I ignore her.

“There’s my beautiful girl, come give me a hug?” I jump into Trey’s arms wrapping my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist, holding on like a monkey, he chuckles and makes his way into the house carrying me and shutting the door behind us.

“How are you baby girl?”

“I’m great Trey. I didn’t think you were going to be back for ages yet!” I exclaim in total joy. Trey had been away for months now, he left on business to Ireland not long after I came home from hospital and he wasn’t due back till the end of June.