Chapter 22

Ty’s P.O.V.

 “To the left!” Rob swerved to his right and avoided the wolf that came lunging out of the trees.

 “We’re not going to make it!”

“We’re nearly there, just a little bit further.” The woods were crawling with Clayton pack wolves and we had stumbled right into the middle of them, it had started to get dark but our eyesight wasn’t going to fail us and we continue to dodge trees with precision.

“What makes you think that they will stop at the border?” While I was certain that we could get out of this alive Rob was taking a little convincing.

“I’m not, they might follow us all the way to the coast, however, they won’t want to risk their relationship with another pack over us, you know the rules as well as I do and they are not allowed to kill or make an arrest on another packs territory without permission from the Alpha.”

“And if they have permission?”

“We’re as good as dead.” I say cheerily. I can feel the boundary of the territories coming up fast, there is a slight tingle in the air, my theory on this weird piece of evolution is that it is impossible to know where a boundary starts and ends whilst in places like woods so this is just a pleasant reminder that it is there it also acts as a warning telling you that a territory starts there, it’s just another survival technique. Once upon a time when packs were constantly in a power struggle for land they did shift and change and to be caught on another packs territory was lethal, but these days they are pretty much constant.

A few steps toward the boundary line and what I hope is my freedom I am knocked to the ground by a particularly heavy wolf. Groaning in pain I roll onto my side and throw myself back to my feet, there is only one of them so I position myself to lunge but I am a second to late as Rob goes flying through the air with teeth bared and a growl tearing from this throat , he collides into the one that attacked me gets a grip on its shoulder with his teeth and pulls ripping the fur and flesh, the wolf howls in pain but we ignore him Rob looks across to me and I shake my head we aren’t going to kill anyone, instead, I turn and continue running straight across the border and we keep running, I don’t turn to look back just focusing on where I’m going, one paw in front of the other always forcing myself to go quicker, Rob keeps pace at all times one step behind to my left – the position of Beta. As we put the Clayton territory behind us a voice calls out clearly.

“The elders have banned you from this land, come back and you won’t like the consequences “

Half an hour later I am lying in a patch of long grass which I am hoping will hide us from view, we are both panting heavily trying to get our breath back, this is the first time we had stopped since we met up with the Clayton pack and we’re both exhausted, wet and hungry. We had made the decision to jump into the river that flows through this territory to mask our scent and continue on foot further downstream. We have thick fur so we didn’t feel the chill that the icy water would bring but it does make our fur slightly heavier with the moisture it collects. The fact that the sun has now set and the temperature has dropped means that our fur will just have to air dry. Rob shakes his whole body and a shower of water droplets fly in all directions as they are flicked of his fur.

“Hey! Was that really necessary?” I complain as half as river lands on me.

“I thought so.” He says nodding his big head and shrugging his wolf shoulders. “How long are we going to stay in wolf form?”

“I’m not sure, at least till I know we’re safe.” There is a niggling feeling inside my head that I recognise as a voice.

“Hold on Rob there is someone on my other line.” I joke.