Chapter Fifty-Five

Beginne am Anfang

"What do you think?"

"What?"

"If you don't want to find your family, Ellie, it's not too late. If it's Julia, and Celeste lives here-."

"I don't think it's Julia."

This threw him. "I'm sorry?"

"I know I'm connected to her somehow." He imagined her wringing her hands. "I know it, I just know that we're connected, but I have no idea how."

"Then..."

"I don't know. But I think I know who it is. It's Cassiopeia. Not Celeste, not Eva, not Virginia, none of them. It's Cassiopeia."

"But-"

"She's in Europe," said Elle, her voice suddenly thicker. "She apparently moved to Europe and this is the end and I'm never gonna find my family-"

"Breathe," said Drew quietly. "Ellie, my love, breathe."

"I can't do this, Drew, I'm so scared-"

"Stop talking, breathe with me. Close your eyes, think about the good things in the world."

"I miss you so much, I need you-"

"Hey. You'll be back soon, and I promise you, it'll be okay."

"I'm s-scared," she cried. "I'm scared and everything hurts, and-"

"Did you take your pill?"

Her voice trembled. "N-No."

"My love, take your chemo pill," he said. "Then I'll Skype you until you fall asleep."

"I don't want to, I feel so sick afterwards-"

"Take the pill, and we can talk face-to-face. Would you like that?"

She took a shaky breath. "O-Okay. I'll see you in a bit."

He went back inside, opening his laptop, and Aaron walked in. "Drew?"

"Hey, Dad. Sorry I woke you."

"No, don't be. What's going on? Your Mom sent me down here to ask why you were outside."

"Elle's in pain, she wants me to talk to her," he said, watching as the little bubble beside Elle's name went green. "I said we'd talk 'til she fell asleep at least."

"Drew," said Aaron softly, and Drew didn't realise that his eyes were full of tears. "She's fighting, but there's only so long-"

"She's not going to die," he snarled, wiping his eyes frantically. "She's fine. She's just in pain."

He didn't push it. "Go to bed soon. Your Mom'll be angry if you stay up too late."

"Okay. G'night."

"Good night, son."

He wiped his eyes again, making sure to leave no trace of tears, before answering Elle's call. "What- what took so long?" she asked quietly.