5.7 : reconciliation

Start from the beginning

"What's up?" Carmen cocked her head, slightly concerned.

"Nothing, really," She grinned, "I-I just wanted to congratulate you for making it on the team. You really did amazing, but that didn't surprise me."

Carmen furrowed her eyebrows at her last sentence. What did that mean? Still, she plastered a friendly smile to her face and nodded in thanks.

"Thank you so much, Seriena." She replied, reaching forward to place a hand on the juncture of her neck and shoulders. "Congratulations to you too, I'm sorry I missed most of your try-out."

Seriena winced when Carmen touched her, quickly cowering away from her. She slid her shirt collar further up her neck and as she noticed how suspicious that must have looked to Carmen, she immediately began to conjure up any explanation she could to excuse her freak-out.

"S-Sorry, I'm just sore, ya'know?" She stuttered nervously, a light chuckle leaving her lips.

It was obvious that Carmen didn't buy her story. So, before she had the chance to open her mouth, Seriena quickly changed the subject.

"Uh, I have to go. My mom's probably worried I didn't come straight home." She insisted, beginning to walk backwards and away awkwardly.

"It's only 5 after.." Carmen muttered, face scrunching in confusion.

"Yeah, but, I-" Seriena stuttered, "I'll see you soon, okay?"

With that, Seriena disappears around the corner, leaving Carmen standing there in suspicion and speculation.

▲▼

The lacrosse team all met on the field for practice while Isaac and Carmen stood on the sidelines. She grabbed his shoulder pads and adjusted them so that they were straight, then beamed up at him sweetly.

"Knock 'em dead." She whispered, placing her hands on his chest. "Not literally."

"Ugh, you're taking after Stiles now with these 'Motivational speeches'." Isaac rolled his eyes through the bars of his helmet, pulling her closer by her waist. "I'll be fine. I'm a werewolf, remember?"

Coach Finstock blew a long whistle at the couple, forcing them apart. Isaac let out a hearty laugh and ran back onto the field, meeting the rest of the team.

A lingering smile was left on her face as she turned around happily, but her happiness quickly faded when she noticed who was standing directly behind her.

"..Allison?"

Allison gulped noticeably hard and cast her eyes to the ground, her fists clenched at her sides.

"I-I heard you were back at school," She started, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I figured I'd say hello.."

Her voice cracked pathetically, telling Carmen that the girl was on the verge of tears. Her theory proved to be true when Allison ran into her arms and wrapped her arms around her, catching her extremely off guard. To say she was uncomfortable was an understatement.

"I'm so sorry for everything," She cried, trembling against her. "I've been so cruel to you ever since you moved here and yet you still died for me. I didn't deserve it, I deserved to be the one being buried.."

"Well I guess it all worked out in the end, huh..?" Carmen joked lightly. Allison didn't find it funny.

Carmen sighed and pulled away, looking Allison dead in the eyes.

"Listen, I know we never had a great relationship.. Ever." She shrugged awkwardly, in some weird attempt to cheer her up. "Actually, I uh.. I don't know where I was going with that."