The Dangerous Game of Hide and Seek.

Chapter one

"Stop touching it," my mum hissed into my ear as she hugged me. "It looks fine."

"It itches!" I hissed back, squeezing her quickly before stepping back. As I took in my mother's small frame, her messy brown hair and wide blue eyes, I said what I had wanted to for a while now; "I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you, too, darling. But you know this is for the best, right?" I nodded, understanding fully. "Try and have a little fun, okay? The head teacher is going to be in his office, he wants a word with you before you go to your dorm."

Try to have a little fun? I don't think she realised how hard that was going to be. 

"Okay, mum. I'll phone you in a week, or are you changing phones?" I asked, picking up my suitcase handle. She shrugged. "Let me know when you do. Bye, mum. Love you."

"I love you, too, Taylor." She hugged me again and wiped a stray tear.

"Tyler," I automatically corrected her with a small smile.

"How can I forget," she kissed my cheek with an eye roll. "Darling, I think you should go by Taylor so you don't get confused..." she stopped when she saw my look. "Okay, okay. Bye, sweetie."

I watched her walk away, a sinking feeling settling in my stomach with every step she put between us. When was the next time I was going to see her?

After she was nothing more than a dot, I turned around and faced the school building. I bit my lip as I neared, my suitcase trailing behind me. My eyes scanned the students around me, all of them looking back. I felt my face shift into a glare but then I remembered that they were probably curious of who the new boy was.

Once I located the office, a girl with cropped hair greeted me. "Hello," she smiled and leant forward. "How can I help you, sweetie?"

"Apparently I have to talk to the head before I can go to my dorm?" I shifted the backpack on my shoulder and looked over my shoulder. The floor to ceiling glass wall looked out onto the grounds, all the boys watching me and my every movement. "I'm new here," I told her when I met her confused gaze.

"Oh. Sorry, I was staring wasn't I?" She laughed and pressed a button on the telephone. As she spoke, her eyes stayed on me. "Mr. Graph, the new student is here."

There was a crackled, "send her in," then I was ushered down a small hallway with two chairs and into his office. The girl waved goodbye as the door shut. Seems like she's the only girl here, I thought with a grimace.

"Ah, you must be Taylor!" Mr. Graph stood up and shook my hand. "I have been told about your... situation," he gave me a sad smile. "I will try my best for you to fit in here, okay?" I nodded. "You will be dorming with one of the boys but by local school gossip, he is barely in his room, so you should be fine."

"Okay, thank you." He handed me a key and timetable. "Building D, room 24."

"Building D is last on campus; it's more towards the end. The builders left such a big gap in-between that building and the others but I'm sure you will be able to get to your lessons on time," he smiled. "Any questions?"

"Does anyone know about me?" I asked, shifting in the chair. I had the urge to shove the wig back but I knew I would mess it up - it took forever this morning for my mum to get it right.

"No, only myself. It would be better if you didn't tell anyone, even though this is a police matter, the school could get bad publicity for this." He gave me another sad smile. "Okay. Have a good day, Taylor."